PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll Question

uw_madtown
07-10-2004, 05:55 PM
This is an odd question and I haven't found the answer anywhere.

What would be an appropriate number of buyins for my bankroll if I'm playing almost exclusively $30+3 3-table Multi SNGs? It's obviously a different sort of management than 1-table SNGs or large field multis. Any advice?

Right now my roll has been right around 20 buyins ($660) and I usually cash out anything above $700. Should I be building up to a higher number?

Quick note, I'm ITM 40% of the time after 32 tourneys.

- uwmadtown

uw_madtown
07-11-2004, 07:18 AM
Bump -- any comments? I really, really have no idea what an appropriate bankroll to have is here. Don't want to be cashing out money that I should be using to build a more "safe" roll, but -- at the moment -- I don't want to build my roll more than necessary either, as I could use the cash.

- uwmadtown

Chief911
07-11-2004, 09:50 AM
uw,

Congrats on your success at the 3TMTT's. Most recommend over on the SNG board to do 20 buyins is a safe amount. However 3 Table should change your variance a bit. I think I'd keep atleast $900 as a bankroll. Although if you are willing to reload if you do fall bankrupt, 600 is fine.

Whats your handle on party? I've been playing quite a few of those 3TMTT's as well.

Nick

uw_madtown
07-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Handle is uwmadtown on Party. What's yours? I'd like to be able to keep an eye out for any fellow 2+2ers hanging around the waters.

Reloading is... well, money situation is complicated. But yeah, I could reload within a month if I busted out $600. But on the other hand, if the tables keep treating me as well have they have over the first 40-50 tourneys that I've kept records of, then I should have more than enough earned within a month to hold a $1k bankroll in Party.

Thanks for your help. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

- uwmadtown

uw_madtown
07-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Also, I dug up a SNG Faq posted awhile back (the search function is tricky)... seems like it's suggested to go through 150-250 SNGs before you can gauge your winrates as "accurate". While I don't feel like I'm getting consistently "lucky" on these multi SNGs (I do get lucky, but it's not because of dumb play), I've only been through 47 at the moment. My ITM is 36% and my ROI is 94% (!!!). Is it completely, totally, wholesale insane of me to expect to maintain those two rates? It seems from that FAQ that the ITM rate is what a good player could expect, but the ROI is about 5x the rates posted there. I'm sure this will come down, but it would take some really bad streaks to do so -- and I've already HAD a couple bad streaks -- particularly a session where I lost 4, got 5th in one for a measly $90, and then lost 4 more.

Anyway... just some questions. I'm really quite excited about figuring all this out. I was a total chip dropper in limit and really got busted up at NL for awhile until I started disciplining myself. Even then, I'd say I was only break even for awhile -- now I'd say I can make maybe 2 BB/hr at low buy-in NL ring games -- not much at a party $25 table, for sure. But these tourneys are fabulous and seem to play to all my strengths. I just don't want to start dreaming of paying my college tuition and rent with my part-time poker earnings if I'm just on one really mean hot streak. But... 4.5 days, nearly $1.5k in profit... I can't help but start dreaming. Bring me down to earth... or send me back to the tables. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course, if this DOES turn out to be a pond I can start fishing at this rate, then I may have to have some convos with the family and the girlfriend... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

- uwmadtown

Chief911
07-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Hey uw,

I watched ya play for a while earlier. Nice solid play to take first. Your bankroll should be more than sufficient if you keep playing solid. I look forward to playin with ya!

Nick

tripdad
07-11-2004, 02:47 PM
if you can't re-load for a month should you bust out, i agree that you should keep 30 buy-ins in your BR.

cheers!

eastbay
07-11-2004, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I dug up a SNG Faq posted awhile back (the search function is tricky)... seems like it's suggested to go through 150-250 SNGs before you can gauge your winrates as "accurate". While I don't feel like I'm getting consistently "lucky" on these multi SNGs (I do get lucky, but it's not because of dumb play), I've only been through 47 at the moment. My ITM is 36% and my ROI is 94% (!!!). Is it completely, totally, wholesale insane of me to expect to maintain those two rates? It seems from that FAQ that the ITM rate is what a good player could expect, but the ROI is about 5x the rates posted there. I'm sure this will come down, but it would take some really bad streaks to do so -- and I've already HAD a couple bad streaks -- particularly a session where I lost 4, got 5th in one for a measly $90, and then lost 4 more.

Anyway... just some questions. I'm really quite excited about figuring all this out. I was a total chip dropper in limit and really got busted up at NL for awhile until I started disciplining myself. Even then, I'd say I was only break even for awhile -- now I'd say I can make maybe 2 BB/hr at low buy-in NL ring games -- not much at a party $25 table, for sure. But these tourneys are fabulous and seem to play to all my strengths. I just don't want to start dreaming of paying my college tuition and rent with my part-time poker earnings if I'm just on one really mean hot streak. But... 4.5 days, nearly $1.5k in profit... I can't help but start dreaming. Bring me down to earth... or send me back to the tables. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course, if this DOES turn out to be a pond I can start fishing at this rate, then I may have to have some convos with the family and the girlfriend... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

- uwmadtown

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't draw any conclusions and definitely don't start dreaming about fame and fortune after less than a week of ANY poker activity.

200 is a decent sample for 10-player tournaments. You would need significantly more for equivalent confidence for 30-player tournaments.

And DEFINITELY don't start pitching this to friends and family as a route to fame and fortune yet.

Search for my post about scaling of ROI and tournament field size. Your 95% ROI sounds high, but something like 60-70% might be achievable, as a fairly speculative guess.

eastbay

uw_madtown
07-11-2004, 05:54 PM
eastbay -- I certainly have no intentions of pitching this to anyone in my real life yet. No one I know knows that I play -- that's why I posted here I guess, need to talk about it a litle just to get it out of my brain.

And, like I said, I have been playing poker for longer than a week, I just haven't been a winning player. Since I got Poker Tracker, my ring play and my discipline in general has improved dramatically. I still don't have enough hands at Party's $25NL tables to judge a real rate there either.

My plan is to basically churn through until I get to 300 tourneys and see where I stand. Even if this takes me only a couple weeks total, is it reasonable to assume statistics at that high of a number would be somewhat "reliable"?

- uwmadtown

uw_madtown
07-11-2004, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey uw,

I watched ya play for a while earlier. Nice solid play to take first. Your bankroll should be more than sufficient if you keep playing solid. I look forward to playin with ya!

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Nick! What's your name on Party though -- I'd like to watch you play sometime. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

- uwmadtown

Chief911
07-11-2004, 11:15 PM
Same as here, Chief_911

Nick