PDA

View Full Version : Do you warm up before a session?

Andersson
07-10-2004, 05:19 PM
I've noticed that I win less, or even lose money, in the beginning of a session. After a while the game is going smoother and I start winning more.

This is just a casual observation and nothing scientific, but I wonder if you experienced players just sit down at a table or if you warm up in some way first? If so, what do you do? Memorize some odds, flip through a book, play for "play money" or something else?

Please share /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ThePopinjay
07-10-2004, 05:26 PM
yea i always make sure to "clear the pipes" before i play

Mikey
07-10-2004, 06:00 PM
I have my brother slap me on each side of the face a few times before I head off to a session and then we jump up and down and he slaps me in the face some more and finally he spits in my face........... then and only then I'll know I'm definitley ready to tackle any poker game.

Kevroc
07-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Do you watch the table for a few orbits before you sit down, or do you just dive in? You may be not doing as well right off the bat because you don't have a feel for the other players yet. Try observing for a little while before posting your first blind.

Playaz
07-10-2004, 06:06 PM
lmao

i've noticed this too, but i dont think its that you havent warmed up yet, i just seem to be more cautious at the beginning of a session because i dont know my opponents yet. after a few minutes i get comfortable at the table and know how strong the opponents are and start playing some good poker.

i guess you could play some play money games if you want... or some low/micro limit games, but im not sure if that would warm you up or not
or just sit at your table and watch the table before you actually start playing

x-ray
07-10-2004, 09:25 PM
I know this sounds obvious, but just tighten up during your first couple orbits and you'll be good to go. Play group 1 the first orbit, add group 2 the second...bam...now you have two orbits worth of info on your opponents and if you do play a hand you're showing down a solid hand and creating a good image for yourself as well.

Ray

Michael Davis
07-10-2004, 09:33 PM
I disagree. You lose some of your aggressive edge by doing this.

-Michael

1800GAMBLER
07-10-2004, 11:23 PM
I actually do /images/graemlins/frown.gif and i've been doing it more in losing streaks. Yet, when i play online poker i really hate having to think at all, so at least if i reply to some threads before i start i'm in a thinking mood when i play.

BassMasterK
07-10-2004, 11:32 PM
ROTFLMAO!

Are you playing poker or going into a wrestling match?

MrPoker
07-11-2004, 03:55 AM
I travelled for a living, and visited over 70 B & M rooms in the last year.
On my first visit to a B & M room, I like to gargle with bourbon, stagger to a table, make a buy in for 50 - 100 BB, in a 5-10 limit game, post a blind if neccesary, and raise without looking at my cards, while asking the dealer for a cocktail waitress. I particularly like to wear a suit and conventioneers badge if I can 'find' a badge, and talk about them poker shows on television makin me want to play since I'm just visiting.
This is particularly effective when you find yourself with a good hand and win the pot. I get all the action I want from the local pros for the 2-4 hours I play before taking my exit.

SinCityGuy
07-11-2004, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed that I win less, or even lose money, in the beginning of a session.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed that I lose money when I get good hands that don't hold up at the beginning of a session. If they do hold up, then I win money.

Duke
07-11-2004, 07:00 AM
Not to put you down for your first or second post ever, but this has become one of the gayest threads I have ever read.

I think everyone should peel one off before playing. I think that would help them to focus.

~D

jerome baker
07-11-2004, 07:39 AM
i eat, then i go take a dump.

Andersson
07-11-2004, 07:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to put you down for your first or second post ever, but this has become one of the gayest threads I have ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I really should have stayed in the beginners forum until I reached 696 posts...

Anyway, I don't think it's a bad idea but perhaps I should have pointed out that I'm new to poker. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Yes. Here's how you do it at Foxwoods. Get your name on the list. Then spend the next two hours memorizing the 180 or so names ahead of yours, go to the men's room, and find out when you get back that they opened up 17 new tables, your name was already called and your're back to #181 on the list again.

Rinse, repeat.... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

47outs
07-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Before a long session I am sure to spend a good 20mins with my wireless laptop on the can reading and posting on 2+2. This sets a good tone for the session.

Time to wipe,

cheers,
outs

ScottTheFish
07-11-2004, 06:15 PM
LOL! I mean ewwwwww...