PDA

View Full Version : When slowplaying goes horribly wrong.

BlackMamba
07-10-2004, 12:15 AM
Hello.I was just knocked out of a TP $30+$3 SNG.The hand that killed my spirits was J,10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.I have about $650 in chips.Blinds are $7/$15.Table is loose passive with people limping in with marginal hands like Kxs and Axs.Occasionally, there may be a raise or 2 but not that often.Since it was early in the SNG, I do not yet perceive my image at the table nor di I have any reads on the players.

I'm dealt J /images/graemlins/heart.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in EP.I call and everybody behind me calls.Flop comes 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.I immediately switch my play from betting out aggressively to slowplaying.This was my first mistake.The blinds check,I check, and a player behind me bets $15.3 people call and one raises to $60.Perfect,I'm gettin a bluffer (known his style from an earlier hand) raising into my total monster.

Turn comes the 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif.
I start to worry as I suspect somebody may have limped with a hand like 8,7 or 9,7 and filled up here.
I check once again.
Everybody behind me also checks.

River comes the 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.Right now I'm cursing TP for doing this to me,but I also curse myself for not re-raising the flop and betting the turn.I check and a player behind me bets $15.I can guarantee that I'm beat and fold.She turns over K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif for the runner runner full house.

Questions

1.Do I re-raise the flop (3bet for all proper people)?.If so,how much do I raise?

2.Do I bet the turn?.If so,how much is a good amount to bet?

3.Instead of going for the slow play, do I take the lead a bet aggressively on all streets?

Recliner
07-10-2004, 01:44 AM
It would be nice to include the pot size through the hand but I can figure it out.

Bet the flop. I'd do $50. If someone reraises depending on the person and the board I might reraise. In your situation with two to the flush that will most likely beat you and the possibility of two pair trying to fill up I would try to draw someone all-in on the flop.

You're in early position which puts you at a large disadvantage on the turn. Over betting the pot might be a good idea because if someone reraises you it could be a very good indicator that someone has you beat. In this case you most likely would have won the pot on the turn but instead you give a free card.

You need to remember the criteria for having a hand worth slow playing. It has to be a monster hand (Your hand is by no means a monster) and by letting people get free cards will improve their hand to something that WILL NOT BEAT YOURS. Again, with the two flush on the board and all the limpers you could be up against a higher flush draw. In that case a 7h or Qh are your only safe hearts to draw to. A ten or jack could give someone a higher straight and a 9 8 or 7 could give someone a full house. If you had played this hand faster your chances of winning it and a larger pot go up.

stupidsucker
07-10-2004, 02:29 AM
I think its a fine time to slowplay.. you have the nut str8, a flush draw, not to mention an inside str8flush draw. This is a monster in my book.. A huge monster.I am not normally one to slowplay hands, but if I do this is a good spot.... but there are too many people in the hand, so I think a bet/raise is in order here.

You have to bet that turn imo, the slowplay is over and your monster becomes a little less monsterish.

Its very possible your slowplay saved you from busting out, but you probably could have gotten that 7 to fold. Dont beat yourself up over it too bad. Feel great you made a good river fold and didnt get attached to your hand.