PDA

View Full Version : real tough hand to play...set of Queens with QKo

Rage23
07-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($25)
Button ($32)
SB ($24.50)
BB ($10.70)
UTG ($39.60)
UTG+1 ($47.20)
UTG+2 ($14.50)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($54.45)</font>
MP2 ($23.55)
<font color="C00000">MP3 ($20.45)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $0, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $0, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $1</font>,50,50, Hero calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, SB folds.

Flop: ($3.50) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks.

**with only 3 players in and a rainbow flop, i think its safe to say i'm looking at the nuts and a turn card for free will hopefully give them something to bet

Turn: ($3.50) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, MP3 calls $2, BB folds.

just looking for any kind of action...i figure if someone is calling they have a queen here...why else would you call? now my plan is to bet the river heavily, because if they called any kind of bet on the turn, i'm guessing they have a Queen, will call big bets or bet themselves on the river, and I that i have them outkicked.

River: ($7.50) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to $17.45 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $7.45.

the allin really makes me think they gotta queen....and....

Final Pot: $42.40
<font color="green">Main Pot: $42.40, between Hero and MP3.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP3 ($42.40).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ks Qc (three of a kind, queens).
MP3 shows 5h 5c (full house, fives full of queens).
Outcome: MP3 wins $42.40. </font>

did i completely misplay this?

SkippingGoat
07-10-2004, 01:16 AM
no.

NotAClue
07-10-2004, 02:07 AM
You really couldn't see that one coming. However, for what it's worth, I never slowplay open trips. Too often, if I get the action that slowplaying is supposed to engender, I'm against a boat. Plus, not slowplaying has great deception value because EVERYONE else is slowplaying their trips.

soah
07-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Pre-flop: Open-limping with big cards was a bad move. You let the little pair in cheaply, and then on the flop the pot seemed too small, and you wanted to win more, which resulted in more bad play. You have to raise here to take control if you want to play this hand. Also, the min-raise from the big blind should be screaming "I have a monster" unless you have a read on him that says otherwise.

Flop: You flopped trips, not a set, and your hand is definately not the nuts. At this point, given how you played it, you should know that the bb could very likely hold AA or KK, and the other guy could definately limp behind you with something like JT, T9s, J9s, or any pair. These are not hands that should be seeing a free card. You were hoping that they held hands like AK and KJ, and would be happy to find a pair on the turn, but unless they're crazy they won't be putting much into the pot with two queens showing. The slowplay only works if your opponent thinks he has made the best hand when in fact you have him beaten. Your hand is not well-disguised, so it is hard for your opponent to misjudge the strength of his hand compared to yours when you bet the turn.

Turn/River: You're sure now that he has a queen... if this is true, he would have called the bet on the flop. Slowplaying didn't help.

Overall, the only way you're winning a big pot here is if someone has a hand like QJ, or if you're playing a moron (who will chase gutshots for big bets, etc).

gomberg
07-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Not a good slowplay at all. In the long run, you shouldn't slowplay a trips hand like this - and if you get real action, you're probably beat anyway by a set. Now if you had QQ instead, you could get away with a slowplay here /images/graemlins/smile.gif But any card that makes a straight on the turn or makes someone else a set really kills you - so you could have won a small pot here or lost a big one, which the slowplay accomplished.

Sandstone
07-10-2004, 03:14 PM
I bet the flop and hope someone else has a worse Queen. You're not going to be getting any action from a hand that can't at least match your trips.