PDA

View Full Version : critique my play (and thinking)

fireman664
07-09-2004, 03:54 PM
I have been at the table for about an hour. (party $100 6 max) player to my immediate left is hyper aggressive preflop (raising 40% of his hands) I have seen him raise to $10 from EP w/77, 55, AK, AQ, A3s, A7o, along with a few similar raises plus any Ax, or 2 face cards from LP. I am getting very cold cards, and have only seen about 15% of the flops, and everytime I do make a hand i get NO action (frustrated)....then, I am dealt QQ in the BB. hyperguy (UTG) raises to $10 (right on cue)(I have $210, he has $95). everyone folds to me. My thinking is I am probably good here, but I also know He will make this raise w/ about any Ace. I decide to cold call (I am sure he would call my all in right here regardless of his hand), and if the flop doesnt have an ace, to move in (or let him since he has pushed 3 times with AK, AQ, after missing the flop, once into 3 other players), and if it does have overcards to muck to a big bet. flop 8d 4c 8h...I check, with my mouse on the call button, he pushes. I call.
My question is, is my thinking right with my read on this guy, and did I play it well, or should I just have pushed preflop into his raise?

thanks
fireman664

fireman664
07-09-2004, 04:07 PM
results......he of course turns over AA to take it down.

schwza
07-09-2004, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(I am sure he would call my all in right here regardless of his hand)

[/ QUOTE ]

easy push then. unless he's a total maniac, there will be a lot of times that he misses the flop and then doesn't push. you also can't be happy about folding when an ace flops if he has something else. and if a K flops, then what? end the suspense (and positional disadvantage) and push.

Nate Finch
07-09-2004, 04:17 PM
I'd push on that flop. If you're pretty sure he has either high cards or a pair, that's about the best flop you can get (except one with a queen in it). If you're pretty sure he'll push and you're just going to autocall, then you should be the one pushing. Not that I think this guy would have laid down his Aces, but it at least gives him the chance to make the mistake and do so, and you always want to give your opponent the chance to make a mistake.

-Nate

fireman664
07-09-2004, 06:17 PM
i agree with ya...i shouldnt be trying cute plays against very bad players.

Leo Bello
07-10-2004, 12:31 AM
One thing we have to say, he has his style. He raised the same amount has he had done with the crap hands. And reading your post he seems to be going well on the table.
Anyway, I would have 3 bet pre-flop. that could give you the piece of information you needed. Since, in the beggining you have no idea where he stands.
I think you played fine after the flop. Although I think you have made one mistake. You were with your hand on the mouse before he did anything. You were predicting him, not paying any attention to what he did. Could you have catched some glimpse of what he had if you had stopped to think a little more? What were you putting him with?