PDA

View Full Version : Richard Riordan & Assemblyman Mervyn Dymally...

Slacker13
07-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Who is the bigger fool here? Note Dymally's comments at the bottom highlighted in red.

Article from CNN

Riordan apologizes for remark

Friday, July 9, 2004 Posted: 7:13 AM EDT (1113 GMT)
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) --

State Education Secretary Richard Riordan jokingly told a child her name, Isis, meant "stupid dirty girl," prompting the head of the California NAACP on Thursday to call for his resignation.

Riordan, the wealthy former Los Angeles mayor known for his support of public schools, startled even friends last week with the comments at a promotional event for summer reading at the Santa Barbara library.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, his longtime friend, called Riordan's statement to the girl "unacceptable in any context" but gave no hint his job was in danger.

But Alice Huffman, president of the California chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said Thursday that Riordan "is not suitable to lead education in our state" and should be removed.

The conversation, videotaped by KEYT-TV, took place July 1. The girl, 6-year-old Isis D'Luciano, asked Riordan if he knew her name meant "Egyptian goddess."
Riordan replied, "It means stupid dirty girl."
After nervous laughter in the room, the girl again told Riordan the meaning of her name. "Hey, that's nifty," he said.

A day later, Riordan issued a statement that said he "teased" the girl. "I immediately apologized to her, and I want to do so again for the misunderstanding," Riordan said.

The governor's chief spokesman, Rob Stutzman, said Thursday Riordan had not been asked to resign and, "That's the end of the issue, as far as we are concerned."

The girl's mother, Trinity Lila of Goleta, said her daughter was fine, and she considered the issue over.
"Obviously it hurt her feelings, but she didn't take it personally. She knew he was wrong and she let it go," Lila said. "I'm not going to sue them for therapy bills."

"He's already apologized repeatedly," Lila added. Although Riordan's office has tried to contact her, "I don't see what else is to be done."

But the issue has persisted. In an editorial Thursday, The Sacramento Bee said California "shouldn't have an education secretary who makes offensive, damaging remarks to young children for no apparent reason."

"He's the governor's top person on education, which means we would expect him to have some love and respect for children," Huffman said. "I think he is the wrong man for the job. There is no way for him to explain this away."

Riordan, a venture capitalist who started a foundation supporting literacy, has a reputation for awkward -- some might say insensitive -- remarks and behavior.

As mayor, he once greeted hunger strikers outside his office eating a hamburger. In a speech to school administrators earlier this year, he told a story about a nun physically disciplining a student that startled some in the audience.

"There wasn't an uproar, but some people felt the comment was inappropriate," said Joseph Jones, assistant executive director of the Association of California School Administrators.

<font color="red"> Democratic state Assemblyman Mervyn Dymally, who had scheduled a protest by civil rights organizations, canceled the demonstration after an apparent mix-up over the girl's racial background.
Dymally was quoted in the San Jose Mercury News Thursday saying the child was "a little African-American girl. Would he (Riordan) have done that to a white girl?"

The girl is white, with blonde hair.

Dymally did not return telephone calls. His office issued a statement Wednesday calling Riordan's remarks to the girl "outrageous and irresponsible," then issued another statement Thursday saying, "To err is human; to forgive is divine."

"Race is not a factor in this issue," Dymally said in Thursday's statement, adding that Riordan had apologized a second time. "It is time for us to move on."
</font>

andyfox
07-09-2004, 02:01 PM
A friend of mine was playing golf with Riordan years ago when he was married, but apparently, not too happily. My friend asked Riordan if his wife played golf. Riordan replied, "You know, I don't know. I never asked."

All the development in downtown L.A. around Staples Center and the Convention Center has moved forward briskly since Riordan owns quite a bit of the land around there.

Rushmore
07-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Thank you for posting this.

When I read this story this morning, I thought it was pretty solid poster story for idiocy.

Riordan is an imbecile, and clearly not fit for office. Anyone stupid enough to say this as a politician isn't fit to deep fry my fish sticks.

Dymally just cracked out of turn. He tipped his hand.

"He's here, he's a horse's rear, get used to it."

He just doesn't love the little white girl, I guess. I guess her civil rights (excuse me, Civil Rights) are just not a top priority for him.

All of a sudden, forgiveness is divine. What a joke.

cardcounter0
07-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Who is the bigger fool?
When two quantities are infinite in size, there is no such thing as "bigger".

I think the real fool would be the voters who allow people like this to obtain office or get appointed.

ThaSaltCracka
07-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Dymally looks like he is trying to ease his foot out of his mouth. Dymally is the bigger fool IMO, simply because it looks like he became "outraged" by a republican, even though he had no idea what the actual facts were. But that seems common nowadays, partisan politics are at an all time high so I guess I am not that surprised.

BTW, Riordan should not have that job either.

Boris
07-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Oh man, this story brought tears to my eyes, I was laughing so hard. I loved the part where Riordan goes out to talk with some people on a hunger strike while he's eating a hamburger. Too freakin funny.