PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Washington State

ThaSaltCracka
07-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Hey, do any you guys know of any cool and/or fun places to go camping here in Washington? Me and a couple buddies are looking to camping somewhere, any recomendations would be greatly appreciated. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zeno
07-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Summer time is a bit crowded but Mt Rainer National park is wonderful.

Places that may be less crowded are in Olympic National Park and National Forest, North Cascades National Park, and near Mr. Baker. The western coastline along the Olympic Peninsula is very nice in the summer. Qzette, La Push, and up by Neah Bay are interesting places in this area.

-Zeno

ThaSaltCracka
07-09-2004, 02:36 PM
yeah I hear Ranier is nice, I want to find some place where there won't be a bunch of kids and where we can have a fire and drink!!!

Boris
07-09-2004, 02:54 PM
That's the best kind of camping. You will have to avoid national parks and campgrounds with running water and "hosts" and stuff like that. The best way to find a good spot is to get a national forest map and scope out all the old logging roads near neat places (generally lakes, rivers and streams). Then pack up the car with lots of beer and start driving until you find a good spot. something always pops up. have fun and bring lots of ammo.

ThaSaltCracka
07-09-2004, 02:57 PM
I don't own a gun(thank god) so I don't need any ammo..... hmm.... National Parks are all good to go onto to right? I mean I shouldn't need any pass or anything right?

nolanfan34
07-09-2004, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah I hear Ranier is nice, I want to find some place where there won't be a bunch of kids and where we can have a fire and drink!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is what you want, check out some of the sites around Ellensburg. A bunch of my college friends and I float the Yakima river each year. About 3 straight hours of floating and drinking. It's a lot of fun, and I know there are campgrounds along the river.

ThaSaltCracka
07-09-2004, 04:22 PM
hmmm.... yeah I was thinking right around there, but they might have a burn ban, thanks for the heads up Nolan

Boris
07-09-2004, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
National Parks are all good to go onto to right? I mean I shouldn't need any pass or anything right?

[/ QUOTE ]

National Parks are very uptight about where you camp and most of the campgrounds have very specific rules about quiet hours and persons per campspot and fees, etc., etc., etc. There also tend to be lots of kids. On a national forest you generally only need a fire permit (and only sometimes do you need one). you just stop by the nearest ranger station and pick one up. no problem. You can also generally camp wherever you feel like. I would suggest camping on a national forest near a national park. That way you don't have to worry about so many uptight people when your camping and you can go on a day trip or something to the national park.

KJS
07-09-2004, 05:53 PM
My favorite place is LaPush beach. Its on National Forest land on the coast outside Forks. Free camping years ago, maybe a couple bucks now. 3 beaches to choose from with nearly zero to 2 mile hikes in. Anything goes firewise and funwise on the beach, except vehicles of any kind. The most amazing sunsets I've seen, and usually not too crowded.

KJS

KJS
07-09-2004, 06:00 PM
You will pay an entrance fee to get into Rainier and will have to have a pass to camp in Olympic NP. But, the Olympic National FOREST borders the National PARK, and camping in the NF is often free. There is also lots of free camping in the Mt. Baker/Snoqualmie NF. Some of it out of the way enough that it's very private.

If you want to just get out and be in the fresh air, have beers and chill, head onto the Mountain Loop Highway outside of Granite Falls. Its close by Seattle and there are tons of campsites along it. But try to get a head start if you are going on a weekend.

KJS