PDA

View Full Version : Rebuy question

Arnie
07-09-2004, 01:17 PM
I just started playing in a weekly 20 man tourney that is a 15 dollar buy in(T1000), with 15 dollar re-buys(T1000) in the first hour, and a 15 dollar add on(T2000) at the end of the hour.

I have never really played with rebuys before...I usually play single table, single buy in. How should I adjust my tourny strategy?

Thanks in advance...
Chris

SossMan
07-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Multiple rebuys usually make the table play loose and crazy. Don't fall into the trap, but treat all-in's with generally less respect as a default play. Also, I would be betting much more than the standard preflop raise with big hands that you want all the chips in the middle preflop (AA-QQ, AKs) since you will often get called by hands you are completely dominating. I would also take a rebuy right away to take advantage of the loose play.
And take the add on no matter how many chips you have.

schwza
07-09-2004, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would also take a rebuy right away to take advantage of the loose play.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've always done this but have recently been questioning whether it's a good idea. assuming you don't bust out during the rebuy and that you take the add-on, if you don't insta-rebuy you buy 3000 (1000+2000) chips for $30, or 100 chips per $1. if you do insta-rebuy you wind up with 4000 chips for 45, or 89 chips per $1. that's a pretty big premium to have a big stack in the beginning.

fnurt
07-09-2004, 02:08 PM
There is no premium. You are going to have the 2000 chips from the addon no matter what, so including the good deal you get on the addon just clouds the math. Even if you were going to get a 2000 chip add-on absolutely free, why should this affect your decision to rebuy?

The real issue is that if you have a good enough edge on the field to make the initial buy-in of T1000 for $15, it is probably worth buying another T1000 for $15. And the real point of rebuying is not to finish the rebuy period with T1000 more, it is to enable you to take full advantage of loose play during the rebuy period by doubling those extra chips.