PDA

View Full Version : PPM defending your blind in a limit tourney.

davidross
07-09-2004, 01:06 PM
This should be easy for me since it shouldn't be that different from the ring games I play, but somehow with the importance of each chip when you are short stacked, I found these 2 critical hands from last night difficult to play.

So 1300 runners, 22 get seats on the boat, and the next 3 get some cash. I started with the max 3000 chips, and stayed ahead of the curve through 5 rounds, only seeing 4 flops, winning 3 of them and getting bad beat on the other. Then I fell below average and never got above it again. I played my small stack well though. I was on table 3, so our turnover was very slow, and we got to know each other. Itr was clear how tight I was playing, so my raises got lots of respect, and I was able to pick up blinds at will. Too easy I guess, because I got no takers on AA, KK and JJ at one point. I never qyuite got so low that I only had one hand to play.

So my first BB hand comes up like this. Blinds are 400/800 limits 800/1600. I have 12K, enough to play 2 hands right out. Extremely loose aggressive in MP(I've seen him raise A3o UTg and 76s in EP) open raises(24K), MP cALLS (6k) and SB (26K) calls too. I have 87o and was preparig=ng to fold, when everyone started calling. 7-1 seemed like a good price and I called the extra 800. WHo folds this?

FLop is T 6 5 two hearts. Checked to the raiser who bets (he bets this flop 100%). MP folds, SB calls and I call. Turn is an Ace, and it gets checked around...phew. River is a 9, no flush, and I have the nuts. SB bets out, I raise, he calls and suddenly I have 20K.

After several more hours we are down to fewer than 100 players, blinds are up to 1000/2000 and I get lucky as a short stack with 77 against AA in the blind. A 7 flops and I doubled up to 30K in chips putting me at average and with a shot.

So now in the BB there is a raise from 2 off the button from a guy with 55K. I folded to me in the BB with Kh 6h. THe table is extremely tight, not many flops being seen. I decided to call again here. Flop has an Ace, and 2 hearts. I check raised him on the flop, and he thought long and hard, and called. No heart on the turn, I bet it again and he called. River another brick, I bluffed at it and he called. He had 99 and was good. I was down to 15K and in trouble. SHortly after I raised with 99, and got 3 bet by poster lil on the button. I knew I was beat right then. Lil wasn't playing with me. THe flop was Kxx and I check called each street putting me all-in on the river. Lil had AA and I was out. 76th.

I'm pretty disappointed about the finish. I played pretty well to hang in there, and my call with K6s was borderline I think. But I seemed to give up after losing that pot. It might not have made any difference, but I knew I had to check fold that last hand, I would have had 6K left to play 1 more. Crazy how your brain can leave you after 6 hours of play.

General bitchy comments. 1)I waatched a lot of the rest while I played some 15/30. THe stalling is out of control as theey got to 45 or so. THey need to put personal time banks in like Stars does, then you don't need to go hand for hand as early, which also slows it down.

2) the observers go way over the line with advice, telling players not to play hands or who to attack. I can't imagine this being allowed in a live tournament, 1 player to a hand and all, and the advice is generally bad. I saw one guy telling his friend to go for a walk and not play any more with his 40K stack and 75 people left. THe blinds got to 8K/16K by the end, he would have been toast.

3) the worst thing I've ever seen. One guy on table 3 ran over the table. He raised at every opportunity and with his big stack no one mixed it up with him. He built to over 500K and kept pressing. Former poster (now banned) onlinechamp was on the bubble with 27 left and pushed his last chips in with 77 and got called by AA. A 7 on the river saved him, and the guy who lost became short. When the blinds came back to him, the big stack told onlinechamp he was still going to take him out. Then he typed to the BB (he was the SB) I'm going to raise then fold. He raised, the BB re-raised all in, and with a 5K call for a 50K pot, he folded. THe table went nuts. It wouldn't surprise me if they took his seat away, it was blatant chip dumping, and he said he was going to do it. Yuck.

CUrious what people think about my 2 blind hands.

lil'
07-09-2004, 01:31 PM
David,

I enjoyed the tournament last night, although I could not survive after my 3 hands of doom depleted my stack by over 60000. God, that was awful.

Anyway, I like the first blind defense hand. I was watching you that hand and said to myself, "Does he have the straight or not?" I don't think you got called on the river, I could be wrong, but I didn't get to see if my hunch was correct.

The second blind defense is more concerning to me, as I made a similar call after getting punched around. Most of the time you are not going to flop a pair, then you have to decide if it is worth continuing on. A big stack is not going to fold most of the time if he has anything decent, and chips are so precious at that point, that it makes me wonder if it's worth calling with something that has very little showdown value. I've called down with K high in heads up games, but only after getting a good read. In hindsight, your call (and mine) don't seem to be worth it. I could be wrong about this.

You had a big cheering section, I'm surprised they didn't yell at me for knocking you out. I thought I was going to be public enemy number one!

Better luck to both of us next time.

Enon
07-09-2004, 01:38 PM
David -

On the first hand, sounds like the opponent decided then and there on the flop to call you down, indicated by his long hesitation on the flop. One interesting thing I noted last night was how most of the players would either fold out the flop with an underpair to the highest card on the board, or dump it. I don't think I saw one time last night at my tables where someone thought their jj were good on a king high board and then checkcalled the flop and turn, only to fold the river. This being the case, after you raised the flop, and followed through on the turn, I think you should have given up on the river bluff. I know its tough as your bluff is the only way for you to win, but I think its very clear he's calling you down.

I don't like how you played the last hand at all. You had enough chips to pick a better spot, and you even say that you knew you were beat. If you suspected you might have been ahead and wanted to continue playing this hand after the flop, at least raise his flop bet and then you may be able to fold to his 3-bet on the flop or check behind on the turn.

Anyways David, I'm sure we'll be meeting each other on the boat, seeing as we've got almost a year to qualify.

Jason Strasser
07-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Booo you took out david!

Booo Duke style.

http://www.isds.duke.edu/~ervance/2002-2003/UNCgame/7219-crazies.jpg

Hissss....

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

schwza
07-09-2004, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I saw one time last night at my tables where someone thought their jj were good on a king high board and then checkcalled the flop and turn, only to fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

how would you know?

lil'
07-09-2004, 01:47 PM
cute

Enon
07-09-2004, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I saw one time last night at my tables where someone thought their jj were good on a king high board and then checkcalled the flop and turn, only to fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

how would you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I figured I'd get this response after I posted it. Got me /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

davidross
07-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Hey Enon,

Regarding the last hand, I don't regret playing it, hell at least 9 out of 10 of my raises won the blinds, so I'm playing the 99 no matter what, but when lil 3 bet me, I know it's not speculative. I should have seen the flop and check folded. I would have had enough to get one more orbit in and who knows.