PDA

View Full Version : Likely second best - time to raise?

schubes
07-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Table is very passive and predictable. Even given this read, I think my flop and turn plays are questionable (maybe preflop too). Any thoughts? Plan for the river?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, MP folds, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Schneids
07-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Given your position in relation to UTG and the number of players in the pot, I would have just called UTG's raise. I'm all for pumping pots for value but with 10 outs and one chance to hit, you need another player or two in the pot before you're getting value on your call-reraise.

If you fill up on the river, it is a good good chance you would have been able to check raise after just calling the turn raise. As you played it, if the board pairs I doubt anyone will do anything but check call.

By check calling the turn at all spots, you put in 1 less BB on the turn while drawing, and make one more BB than your plan will when you hit on the river, plus with a smaller pot it becomes much easier to fold on the river if there's a bet and a call to you.

schubes
07-09-2004, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm all for pumping pots for value but with 10 outs and one chance to hit, you need another player or two in the pot before you're getting value on your call-reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that I'm winning less than my fair share on the turn, or that I'm not making enough EV through my reraise to make up for what I lose on river? I'm assuming my maybe 3 outs to split change nothing.

[ QUOTE ]
if the board pairs I doubt anyone will do anything but check call.

[/ QUOTE ]
These guys were so passive, I might not have been able to c/r anyway /images/graemlins/grin.gif. This is a good point however.
[ QUOTE ]
plus with a smaller pot it becomes much easier to fold on the river if there's a bet and a call to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really never considered this. This point alone probably makes it worth check-calling (even if i could get a raise on the river).

You don't think its worth raising flop (to clean my set outs)?

Thanks for the excellent points!