PDA

View Full Version : Hand from last night's tourney

JARID
07-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t4106)
UTG+2 (t425)
MP1 (t1697)
MP2 (t655)
MP3 (t370)
CO (t1357)
Button (t2415)
Hero (t4550)
BB (t4460)
UTG (t775)

UTG + 1 had made a similar type raise(double the blind) earlier with AQo. Other than that I hadn't seen much UTG raising action from this player.

My play has been pretty imaculate. UTG+1 had been at my table since the 30blind level and had seen me shove all in once PF with AK from the BB against 4 limpers that I had covered 3 fold.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t200</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t200, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t1000</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls t800, CO folds.

Flop: (t2300) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t1000</font>, UTG+1 calls t1000.

Turn: (t4300) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero?

<font color="black"> Comments on all streets thus far appreciated. Whats my play on the turn?

Thanks-
Jarid </font>

schwza
07-09-2004, 12:58 PM
i'd push on the turn. 99 is really the only hand i'd be worried about, but it's pretty unlikely. checking is unappealing because you don't want to give a free flush card or overcard. it's possible that this is a very strangely played AA/KK, but i'd be surprised. my guess is something like A /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

JARID
07-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Does the size of the bets he is calling cause any concern?

davidross
07-09-2004, 03:30 PM
I need to know more about your read on this guy. THis is a real tough spot, you don't want to give spades or AK a free card, but you might be in a world of hurt here too. In his position I might have played AA, KK or 99 like this. Of course you have to call his bet, so I think your decision comes down to whether you think it's more likely he will bluff bet if you check, or that he will call your bet with a worse hand than yours.

It's so player dependant. Against normal (bad) PArty players I push in here.

schwza
07-09-2004, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does the size of the bets he is calling cause any concern?

[/ QUOTE ]

you only bet 1/2.3 of the pot on the flop, which a flush draw would correctly call.

MLG
07-09-2004, 03:47 PM
they are only correctly calling that bet if they expect to see the river for free. If they have to put more money in on the turn then they are incorrect to call the bet.

JARID
07-09-2004, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I need to know more about your read on this guy

[/ QUOTE ]

He was not a bad player. In fact when I saw QQ and then saw that he raised from a UTG position, even so small, I was not happy about having to play this hand.

The fact that he was not a bad player and that he was calling off all of these big bets gave me pause.

Hope that helps you help me-
Jarid

JARID
07-09-2004, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you only bet 1/2.3 of the pot on the flop, which a flush draw would correctly call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, if I don't bet the turn, but he was basically stacking off 1/2 of his tournament chips.

-Jarid

tripdad
07-09-2004, 06:16 PM
easy push IMO. shoulda bet more on the flop, but it didn't hurt you.

cheers!

davidross
07-09-2004, 08:32 PM
It's still a tough call. By check/calling you might save some chips if your beat (He might not put you all in), but I don't think you can fold here no matter what.

I think his possible holdings are AA, KK, JJ, TT 99, 88,77. AK, Axspades.

If I'm not mistaken you have 2K left. If you make an undersized bet, he is getting correct odds to call with spades, and maybe with AK.

In my opinion there are enough hands that he will call you with when he's beat and you can push all in here. I have a feeling you are beat though.

JARID
07-12-2004, 01:51 PM
I know I'm a little late to the party but I wanted post results for those that replied.

With a blank turn card I reluctantly pushed all in and he called. Sadly he only had one /images/graemlins/spade.gif, the K /images/graemlins/spade.gif and it was paired with another king. I went unimproved and my stack was crippled.

The frustrating thing about this hand was that after I raised big pf and he just smooth called, I said to the person that was watching me play "crap he has AA".
The rest of the hand it was like I was doing the default auto pilot thing to do when my instinct told me otherwise. In these PP MTT there are so many opportunities to double up I think there has to be a way to fold big hands, even if there is a chance it might be the best sometimes, knowing that you can make it up later and stay in the tourney. As TPFAP would say, you're broke, you're done. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

-Jarid

fnurt
07-12-2004, 02:21 PM
The idea of check-folding QQ on the turn, with this board, just fills me with mirth. I mean, what more could you want from the board? If you're not going to like playing this board for all your chips, why not just fold to the initial raise preflop, since after all the raiser "might" have AA or KK.

A bet of less than half the pot on the flop doesn't exactly project strength, so I don't understand why only a monster could call.

QQ against KK is just one of those situations, sometimes you can get away from it, but giving up after this action is just so weak I can't fathom it. Maybe there will be innumerable double-up opportunities later in the tournament, but if you give up on QQ with 4 undercards, where will you ever find the intestinal fortitude to take any of them?