PDA

View Full Version : 3 hands that stole my bankroll. Please tell me I was stupid.

RoyalSampler
07-09-2004, 12:07 PM
I'd rather believe I lost due to poor play than bad luck, because luck cannot be fixed. So here they are, sorry I don't have exact histories. Wasn't so much a bankroll as just the $25 I had bought in with /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Dealt 55, 4 come in after 4BB raise, flop comes up Kx5 spades. ~$5 in pot. I am first to act and bet $10 at it, to take it down now, but lose to AA who called all in $5 and hit the nut flush. Maybe a pot bet then run? Same end result since AA only had $5, but better play? Make check call weak bets? Save my money for a better position?

Next AJh flop 872h, nut flush. Pot is $2.50, only 2 of us. I check, he bets pot, I call. Turn pairs 8's on board and he bets pot again ($5), I figure I'm giving him rope. Another check, call $5 on river. He had 87c. I think this is just one of those things?

Dealt AK raise 3BB, flop A93, first to act and bet pot ~$2. Get called by two. Next card brick and I bet pot again ~$6 figuring I've still got the best of it and trying to get them off my tail, didn't work. On the river I hit a K, so two pairs A's and K's. I go all in for remaining $5 and lose it to trip (pocket) 9's.

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Richie Rich
07-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Enter the relevant hands at http://twodimes.net, and then you'll see how much of a favorite you really were. But if it makes you feel any better, you're stupid. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

schwza
07-09-2004, 12:47 PM
hand 1: so you called the 4BB raise, right? how big was your stack at this point? it needs to be reasonably big for this to be a good play. where you in the blind? it'd be helpful if you gave a little more detail.

you have a pretty strong hand here, even though the flop is all spades. i would bet just the pot here - you don't want to scare off hands like Kx. even if you're up against a made flush you have a lot of outs.

hand 2: it looks like you were slowplaying but then got scared out of putting in your raise when the board paired. you shouldn't be so quick to give someone credit for a FH in this spot. i would check-raise the turn because somebody with the naked K /images/graemlins/heart.gif may call on the turn but won't call on the river if the heart misses. (and the pot should be 7.50 on the turn, not 5).

hand 3: well played. crappy luck.

RoyalSampler
07-09-2004, 01:36 PM
hand 1: don't remember exactly, but I generally won't call with a stack less than 10-15 times with low pockets when going for trips. And I like calling into a raise (not too big), because it improves the implied odds.

hand 2: do you think continuing the slow play and not hitting the reraise on turn was ok? i thought i might scare him off? was this more of an unlucky hand than a poorly played one? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

thanks

schwza
07-09-2004, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

hand 2: do you think continuing the slow play and not hitting the reraise on turn was ok? i thought i might scare him off? was this more of an unlucky hand than a poorly played one? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you thought you might scare him off on the turn? if this was your thinking then why did you only check-call on the river? it's not really slow-playing if you don't ever put in a raise - that's just playing very passively.

oh, it just occured to me - were you all-in for that last $5 bet on the river? and yes, you were very unlucky in this hand.

RoyalSampler
07-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Oh i meant if I reraised on the turn, I was worried he would just fold and I'd missed out on the rest of his chips, which I was greedy for. So I wanted to let him keep feeding them to me as he was, disbelieving the FH was actually there. This isn't an unreasonable strategy is it? I was figuring TPTK, two pair, trips, with semi bluff on the flush draw maybe?

Thanks for you help, do like the comments /images/graemlins/smile.gif

NotAClue
07-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Personally, I like your play in Hand 2, once the board paired on the turn, I think there's little point in being aggressive. If he's willing to bet his weaker flush/flush draw for you, then let him. And obviously if he did fill up, there's little point in pushing at that point.

schwza
07-09-2004, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh i meant if I reraised on the turn, I was worried he would just fold and I'd missed out on the rest of his chips, which I was greedy for. So I wanted to let him keep feeding them to me as he was, disbelieving the FH was actually there. This isn't an unreasonable strategy is it? I was figuring TPTK, two pair, trips, with semi bluff on the flush draw maybe?

Thanks for you help, do like the comments /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

no problem /images/graemlins/smile.gif

so... were you all-in on the river or did you still have money on the table?

jagoff
07-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Hand 2- I have had the same crappy luck that you had on that particular hand. However, when the $5 raise into a $5 pot came from the other person holding trips I made a raise of $15 more. He came all in and hit runner, runner 4's to make the FH. Nothing you can do about it.

Hand 3- Good playing but yes some bad luck there.

RoyalSampler
07-09-2004, 04:40 PM
All in baby /images/graemlins/laugh.gif my wife came down and I was telling her how bad my cards were running and the first thing she saw was me flop the flush and she goes, "there you go" /images/graemlins/smile.gif and then I got boated hehe. Unfortunately there is not a general consensus that I swayed far from sensible play, which is to suggest, there is not a hell of a lot I can do except suck it up.

RoyalSampler
07-09-2004, 04:43 PM
The only real solution is, make the play, lose and then drink some beer. My wife had a beer in my hand within a minute of that boat hitting. Oh she's a keeper /images/graemlins/laugh.gif