PDA

View Full Version : Pocket 10's

TheCount
07-09-2004, 10:18 AM
I know that pocket tens are a great hand, and I raise with it 99% of the time, but at this low limit how good of a hand is it? Whenever a face card flops I just feel like if I bet I'm betting for them, and if I check call I end up losing anyways. How should these be played post flop with overcards. Obviously if there is no overcards or you flop a set to bet, but with the overcards how would one play it?

cold_cash
07-09-2004, 10:34 AM
It depends.

This is an impossible question to answer without quite a few specifics.

Post a TT hand you played and these guys will be able to give you quite a few things to think about, I'm sure.

tiltaholic
07-09-2004, 11:36 AM
10s are the subject of the day.
They are also my 4th winningest hand in terms of dollars.
For me, they win 50% of the time - I only play .5/1 and mostly at party. In the beginning I played them extremely tentantively for reasons you mention and now I play them like I want to sleep with them. I suppose I could look to see which way has been more profitable but I have only has them 50 times total so it might not be a big enough sample. It is also possible that I have been getting lucky with them too.

Specific hand examples would be good. Take a look at the thread about JJ where I posted something. I think Greg J started it...

-t

TheCount
07-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Alright, here are two hands I had last night with pocket tens.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (11 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, Button checks.

River: (7.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Th Ts (two pair, tens and fives).
MP3 shows 3d 3c (two pair, fives and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.50 BB. </font>

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO (poster) folds, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Button calls $1.50 (All-In), <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, BB calls.

River: (19 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 23 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 9d 2d (three of a kind, nines).
BB shows Tc 9c (three of a kind, nines).
Button shows Ah 7d (two pair, aces and nines).
Outcome: SB wins 11.50 BB. BB wins 11.50 BB. </font>

First hand I was very hesitant to call the river bet, thinking there was no way I could win this hand. Second once the ace flopped I knew I was beat. Thoughts comments on all plays. Table read was pretty loose.

Greg J
07-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Hey count.

I know what you are talking about. See this thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=813508&amp;page=2&amp;view=co llapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14

SnakeRat
07-09-2004, 07:46 PM
You arent aggressive enough.

Hand 1:

I would bet the turn and fold to a raise.

Hand 2:

No ace flopped, you have an overpair, RAISE!!

citizenkn
07-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Hand one: the queen is not nearly as scary as an ace. You should still be confident that you are winning this hand. Anyone who calls could easily have overcards or another pocket pair. If you get raised on the flop, it might be another story. But in this case, I'd keep betting until someone tells me I'm beat.

Hand 2: You have an overpair, you MUST raise the flop. If you get three-bet, then maybe you can put a player on three nines and fold the hand. But simply calling here is the worst thing you can do. Your opponent could easily be betting with a five or a smaller pocket pair. Without raising, you get no information about the hand of the other player, and you must have that info in order to decide whether to continue with the hand.

StellarWind
07-09-2004, 09:15 PM
Hand 1: Bet the turn. Yes, I realize this is a very dangerous thing to do with a chip, but you absolutely have to try and push the aces, kings, and jacks out of the pot. Or at least make them pay for their river card. Notice that your one bet will force three opponents to feed the pot or fold their draw. You are getting odds on this bet.

Besides, if you check in first position and someone has a queen they will bet behind you. Then you get to put your bet in anyway. Except now the bet tends to only go in when you are losing and not when you have the best hand. Bummer. As long as you keep acting like you have AA a raise is unlikely so you might as well bet instead of calling.

SeppDeitrich
07-10-2004, 02:54 AM
you are not TheCount1729, don't even pretend bud. Choose a new nickname or leave this forum pls.

Sent
07-10-2004, 07:54 AM
What? As if no one else likes or uses the name TheCount, most people don't even know who 1729 is. Most people think Sesame Street before TheCount1729.

-Sent

tiltaholic
07-10-2004, 10:46 AM
hey count-
yeah. basically what the other people have said.

in hand one, there is no reason to think you are behind until someone pushes back. bet the flop (as you did), bet the turn, bet the river. someone with a five is going to raise the turn usually...

in hand 2, definitely raise the flop and take it from there. those guys with trips aren't going anywhere, but they may 3-bet you and you'll know where you stand. as you played it, i would also fold on the turn when bb came out betting after the ace.

-t