PDA

View Full Version : How do you like this bluff

BlackMamba
07-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Hello.I was playing in a TP $60+$5 NL Holdem SNG last night.Blinds are $50/$100.It's a very loose,passive table with not a lot of PFR.I have about $2500 in chips.I'm in the big blind with 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.3 people check behind me.I also check.Flop comes Q /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.Everybody,including me,checks.Turn comes J /images/graemlins/spade.gif.A player bets $100.I feel that he is a weak player and I don't feel that his bets are with anything except a flush draw,so I call.River comes K /images/graemlins/spade.gif.He bets $100 again.Now I'm sure that he missed his draw and is betting just to take the pot.I re-raise to $450.He immediately folds and I take the pot.Anybody play this hand differently.All comments welcome.

slogger
07-09-2004, 10:33 AM
I think you had a nice read on this player and used it to your advantage. I think I sometimes go too far with reads like this because so many online players are afraid of being bluffed and will call with any piece of the board. You must be very selective about where and against what players you make this move. Nicely done.

Now to my pet peeve - we'll fix this yet!

[ QUOTE ]
He bets $100 again. Now I'm sure that he missed his draw and is betting just to take the pot. I re-raise to $450.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif If he "bets," and the action is to you, a "re-raise" is not an option. It's a "raise." Really not trying to be a jerk, but about 80% of our otherwise esteemed posters make this mistake and I think it clouds the nature of the action in certain hand descriptions (not necessarily this one, as you were heads up and the action was not complex).

Sorry for the mini-rant, but I think this would be very simple to correct and it would improve the quality of our posts. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hood
07-09-2004, 10:34 AM
How are you sure he's on a draw? It seems mighty strange play for someone to pick up a flush draw on the flop, miss on the turn, then bet in to everyone. He could check it down and see if he makes his hand. I recon he had a Q with a bad kicker, or a jack.

Your raise on the river is more solid, I think, because that K is a scare card to anyone who has a Q or J, which is what I still think he had.

NegativeEV
07-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Agree. A very weak semi bluff on flush draw after checking the flop seems like a terrible play that even most fish would avoid. I agree he probably has 2nd pair and doesn't know what to do with it. The problem I see with the river bluff is that a ~ 1/2 pot bluff would likely not move the weak player off 2nd pair. I fold the river here after missing my 5:1.