PDA

View Full Version : A Fox or Farmer be?

TheCat
07-09-2004, 04:20 AM
I’m not sure if I should be a Fox or a Farmer, see http://www.playwinningpoker.com/articles/03/06.html . Two very different ways to approach a tournament, either your aim is simply to get into the money or to come 1st.

The macho thing to say is that we only want to be Foxes. Everybody who reads this will think themselves more Fox than Farmer. I’m considering when (if ever) I should be a Farmer and when a Fox.

I don’t see why being a Farmer can’t be +EV. You will often get into the money and will sometimes get a good placing. The Fox might be potentially bigger +EV but you need more skill to be a Fox. Your variance will clearly be much bigger.

In low buying online tournaments I rather thinks it’s an uphill battle being a Fox as play is so loose even near the bubble. The only way you can win these tournaments is not to make any mistakes and get lucky.

If you clearly see timid very tight play then you want to get your Fox suit on.

Any thoughts?

Are Fox and Farmer well know terms for the two approaches to tournament play?

Toro
07-09-2004, 06:37 AM
You need to be both. The trick is picking your spots(knowing when to change gears). And that knowledge only comes from a lot of experience and a fair amount of instinct.

Keep trying different things and see what works and what doesn't work. Don't be a robot in other words.