PDA

View Full Version : Whats HEFAP and... help a forum noob.

BobbyEarle
07-09-2004, 01:43 AM
Hi all. Been playing hold em for a few years, but am just getting into deeper theory recently. Can some kind soul define HEFAP, WLLHE, TOP, etc. These seem to be some of the more common abbreviations. I've read Hellmuth's book but haven't gotten much farther. Thanks for any help!

BolliTrader
07-09-2004, 01:48 AM
check the books section on the left...

hefap Hold em for advanced players
wllhe winning low limit hold em
top theory of poker

edit: I meant left

deacsoft
07-09-2004, 01:49 AM
HEFAP=HPFAP: Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players (a book by Sklansky and Malmuth)

WLLHE: Winning Low Limit Hold'em (a book by Jones)

TOP: Theory of Poker (a book by Sklansky)

IMO (in my opinion) three books that are currently a must read for a "wanting to advance" poker player.

ProfLupin
07-09-2004, 01:52 AM
Don't trust Hellmuth's book for any of its hold-em advice, it's shallow at best and flat inaccurate at worst. I hear the sections on the other games are at least decent, but I'm not an expert in any of those other games.

deacsoft
07-09-2004, 02:41 AM
The most relevant part of Mr. Hellmuth's book (hold'em section) may be the "animal types". These do exist and can change the proper play of a hand.

BobbyEarle
07-09-2004, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the input guys, and more importantly, thanks for not flaming the "noob". Good Luck to all.

MicroBob
07-09-2004, 05:13 AM
check out the 'beginners' forum under general gambling.
there will probably be some threads there that may be of interest to you.

everyone pretty much agrees that HEFAP and TOP are must-reads. there is some debate regarding WLHHE....some think it is also fantastic (albeit not as advanced) while a few others think it may actually take you a bit in the wrong direction.

try to forget everything you have read about hold-em from phil's book and consider starting over.

sklansky also wrote a book called Hold Em Poker which is more beginners manual to hold-em and may ease you into HEFAP better if the material in that book is too advanced for you right now.

also coming up is Ed Miller's Small Stakes Hold Em book which i suspect will be fantastic and which i am anxiously awaiting (hopefully will be delivered by late july or so).

Songwind
07-09-2004, 07:40 AM
I have Helmuth's book, and find that, at low limits online at least, his advice isn't that useful. If more people were consistent and/or rational at the online tables it might make more sense.

Everyone has explained the acronyms, so I won't go into that.

The book that I have at this point that I have made the most use of is Gary Carson's The Complete Book of Hold 'Em Poker. It's clearly written, and his advice is usually followed by an explanation of why he's suggesting that action.

I haven't read HEPFAP yet, just because I'm a bit tight on cash right now and 2+2 books are pricey.

MrGo
07-09-2004, 09:28 AM
www.overstock.com (http://www.overstock.com)

Great prices.