PDA

View Full Version : Stupid slow play

Abagadro
07-08-2004, 11:58 PM
I was informed at the table that this was a stupid slow play. Interested in opinions on my betting strategy.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO (t1790)
<font color="C00000">Button (t1390)</font>
SB (t1695)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t725)</font>
UTG (t1465)
MP (t935)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t200</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t450) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t450) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t225</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t1190 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t300 (All-In).

River: (t2165) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2165

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ah Ad (one pair, aces).
Button shows 2h 2s (three of a kind, twos).
Outcome: Button wins t2165. </font>

HighStack
07-20-2004, 12:12 PM
I think checking on the flop was a really bad idea two handed, if you raised to 300 or so here he probably would have been scared of the confidence in trip 5's or 8's against his 2's. If he called that he would have been taking a chance, but unfortunely still would have won in the end. I think you could have folded him with a nice raise IMO.

Jason Strasser
07-20-2004, 12:16 PM
The play overall in this hand is attrocious by everyone involved.

My preference is to reraise all-in preflop, because that is the easy thing to do and MANY times they will call the 500 getting ~ 2:1.

Aces are a pair. You have a small stack. If the stacks are much deeper, I'm all for a nice slowplay. But your stack is tiny, a good player will be much more alarmed by your smooth call then you reraise all-in IMO.

-Jason

Daxonovitch
07-20-2004, 12:41 PM
I agree with Jason.

A) Reraise all in on the flop there. You'll get a call from miserable players more often than you'd think, and picking up the blinds and raise there is also no loss.

B) Bet the pot on the flop, find out where you're at. A smooth call or a reraise indicates you're probably in trouble.

C) You didn't need to call the all in on the turn. Like Jason said, you have a pair, and at a minimum someone has 2p here (I think another overpair would be much more likely to be getting a bet out on the flop). You're beat, lay it down.

I think that in general, it's never bad to get as much money as you can in preflop with aces in party SNGs. I end up much more frustrated losing a big pot with slowplaying aces than I do with winning a small pot and no callers, and the action is generally loose enough that you can expect calls from all kinds of random hands, even down to AJo. My winrate with AA is 88.64% - don't mess around with aces and you won't put yourself into a box.