PDA

View Full Version : Bluff induction

Nate tha' Great
07-08-2004, 10:03 PM
I've started checking the turn more often in way-ahead, way-behind sitautions in which I believe I have a good chance to induce a bluff. You likey? Or am I giving up too much value? CO seemed about a 7/5 on the looseness/aggression scale.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Nate is SB with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, CO calls, Button folds, Nate completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Nate bets</font>, BB folds, CO calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Nate checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Nate calls.

River: (4.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Nate checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Nate calls.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6.50 BB, between CO and Nate.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Nate (6.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Nate shows 6s Ad (two pair, aces and fives).
CO shows Qc Jh (two pair, queens and fives).
Outcome: Nate wins 6.50 BB. </font>

Guido
07-09-2004, 05:50 AM
I bet the flop, check-call the turn and bet the river. I bet the river because the Q gave me a good kicker and I don't want to see it checked. When you are very sure he will bet I sometimes C/R the river. Only a 5 beats you IMO.

Guido

JRichman
07-09-2004, 02:43 PM
I like. I will often play boards like this this way against LAGs.

While, with hindsight, on this particular hand, a river bet would make sense, I would check/call too. The only worse hands you will be called by are a pair of 7s or a pair of Qs, and are you prepared to fold if you bet the river and are raised? More profitable, IMO, to let him continue to bluff if you are ahead or save your money if you are behind.

Cannes
07-09-2004, 03:25 PM
I like this line of play. I use it often myself. Betting the river can be advocated for.

tripdad
07-09-2004, 06:38 PM
i like it except for not raising the river. also, you need to be sure he'll bet the river before you check it to him. at any rate, inducing bluffs is a good skill to have that i am really working on.

cheers!

King Yao
07-10-2004, 05:11 AM
The Queen on the River would make me think about betting out on the River. Many players are willing to keep betting if they have nothing, but if they catch a pair, they will all of a sudden check because now they have a chance of winning without having to bluff. I'm not saying I'd definitely bet out against everyone when a Q comes, but when a K or Q (sometimes J and T too), I'll have to seriously consider betting out on the River. Of course, most of the decision making depends on the player.