PDA

View Full Version : Critique these two hands please

rebling777
07-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Want to make sure I'm on the right track. Still trying to shake some weak tight tendencies.

Pacific Poker, .10/.20 (10 handed)

Hand #1

Hero is in the SB with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 raises, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 3-bets, MP1 caps, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls

Flop: (23 SB) K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>

Hero bets, BB raises, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, CO folds, Hero 3-bets, BB caps, all call.

Turn: (21 BB) 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (5 players)

Hero bets, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds

River: (25 BB) T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (4 players)

Hero bets, BB folds, UTG+1 and UTG+2 call

Thoughts?

Hand #2

Hero is on the button with 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls (should have raised here I think), SB calls, BB checks

Flop: (8 SB) 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(8 players) </font>

Checked to me and I check it out. I think I should have bet but my thought process at the time was take the free card and see if the 4th club or 4th straight cards hits.

Turn: (4 BB) J /images/graemlins/spade.gif (8 players)

SB bets, 5 callers and I fold. Winning hand ended up being 7's full but that's not important.

I have problems with hands like this and how to continue after the flop. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

SoCalPat
07-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Hand 1: Calling a raise, then two cold in a capped pot with your suited ace probably isn't the right move, but I'll stick to the positive and say that there are far worse places to do so than against 5 other players.

Your goal on the flop is to jam this pot. Given your lack of position, betting out is the best option. A check-raise would be a longshot to get you a free card (if needed).

Well played turn and river. When I've got the nuts multiway, I'm hoping for a solid 2nd-best hand out there to raise me. Then, I can make it 3 and perhaps trap the field for additional bets.

Hand 2: Bet this flop. Use your position. Take control of the hand. You'll know if someone has an 8 later on, but if there isn't another 8 out there (and it's 40 percent likely they're both buried), your opponents have to respect you for having it yourself.

Had the turn been the J /images/graemlins/club.gif instead of J /images/graemlins/spade.gif ... now that's the time to take a free card. And you could've likely had it by betting out the flop. As it happened, you were right to fold to five overcalls. You should be beaten here.

bwana devil
07-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Hand #1

Preflop: id fold to the raise.

Flop: good bet. 3 bet looks good since everyone already called 2 theyll probably stay around for another 2.

Turn and River: fine obviously

rebling777
07-08-2004, 10:12 PM
I agree, my calls were a little loose preflop. But against the any-two will do crowd I thought if I flopped lucky I could win a big pot. I don't normally see many flops for 4 bets unless I have have a really big hand. What are the cutoffs in the SB for calling and raising. Obviously, if I have AKs, I 3 bet. Is ATs a calling hand? AJs? thanks.

TBone
07-09-2004, 01:44 AM
Hand 1 fold preflop. Sure you can hit a lucky flop on occasion, but playing that kind of hand in a capped pot can often cause you to lose a lot, or just pay a lot of money to see a flop that sucks.

Hand 2 you need to bet the flop. Sometimes you'll be raised by the 8 if it's out there. More importantly, you want to get overcards to your 7 to hopefully fold. It's even better that you have position and it's checked to you.

T

Sent
07-09-2004, 03:32 AM
If he were in the BB instead of the SB the PF call would be ok right?

-Sent

kenewbie
07-09-2004, 05:21 AM
Hand #1:
I would not cold-call with Axs. Usually not a great move.

Betting out on the flop is good, I was expecting the raise to come from UTG+2 or MP1 but hey, as long as it gets capped and everyone calls, whos complaining.

With all the action on the flop and your nuts comming on the turn, I would check-raise though. Trap them all for two bets atleast. BB capped it and more often than not that means he will bet out. Hes to your left and this is a great time to let him lead.

Betting out on the river is good.

Nice pot /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand #2:
The preflop call is fine.
Although I'm sure some will argue that you should bet on the flop having the button and all, chances are with this many players whoever catches something on the turn will bet into you. thus no free card. Also, you dont really have anything yet. I'd take the free card and see if I get something to draw to aswell.

k

kenewbie
07-09-2004, 05:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he were in the BB instead of the SB the PF call would be ok right?
-Sent

[/ QUOTE ]

Just thread carefully when the ace flops.

k

HajiShirazu
07-09-2004, 07:12 AM
I don't like calling preflop much in hand 1. Fine from the BB but the SB is bad...calling from the SB is worse to me than calling two in position. I would go for the checkraise on the turn since BB was the one doing the capping, I think you missed some bets there. What in gods name did BB fold on the river?
You could raise preflop in hand 2 if you really wanted to look crazy but there's no reason to do it at pacific poker tables and it's not really much of an +EV move. I think I would bet the flop although I am not too sure about this because your chances for improvement are not all that great-if the flop was 744 I would like betting much more.

rebling777
07-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all the responses. After reflection, I agree, my preflop call of the raises was poor. I'm letting the results cloud my thinking which is stupid. I thought about checking the turn, but it seems every time I try something fancy at those tables it backfires. If the turn had been checked out I would have been very upset with myself.