PDA

View Full Version : A-Q vs. A-Q #2

Clarkmeister
07-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Similar to Andy's hand, but different.

I open raise UTG in a 7-handed 40-80 with AQo. Very good player 3-bets me 2 off the button. We know each other and respect each other's play. Blinds fold. 2 to the flop.

Flop: [Tc 8h 5d]. Check-Check
Turn: Ks. Check-Check
River: 6h. Check-Check, I roll AQo, he rolls AQo. Chop it up.

nykenny
07-08-2004, 07:43 PM
too much respect /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ulysses
07-08-2004, 08:36 PM
10-20 No-limit

4 bad limpers. Their limping means they don't have anything good and will probably fold to a raise. I (I have everyone covered - the deepest stack in has maybe 1500) make it 200 from the small blind w/ KcQc. UTG limper (600) calls.

Flop 6c 9d Td

I bet 500, putting the caller all-in. He calls instantly. Oops.

Turn 7h
River 8c

He says "straight?" I say "straight" and flip over my KcQc. He flips over KsQh.

ike
07-08-2004, 10:36 PM
wow, where do you find these guys who call allin with king high?

anduril
07-08-2004, 11:09 PM
he 3-bets pf and then checks through a K on the turn, did you think he was slow rolling a K or pair or were you prepared to check-call and catch a bluff on the river or, well can you elaborate your thinking please?

Josh W
07-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Against most (all?) people, if I'm you I bet the river for value (get AJ to call) and to bluff (get AQ to fold).

J

Diplomat
07-09-2004, 12:55 AM
I agree, but I'm a bit worried about being called by 99 or some odd pair.

Then again, 99 really is the only pair that would three-bet pre-flop, and even that is a maybe.

Bet the river.

-Diplomat

Josh W
07-09-2004, 01:04 AM
more importantly, i think, any pair would bet the flop. The only hand I'd fear is TT, and even then, only rarely.

See, TT wouldn't check the turn that often. With a board of KTxx, TT can feel safe (given the play) that clark has AK, AQ, or AJ. No sense giving clark a free draw to 4 outs (AQ, AJ), and might as well start bleeding clark (if clark as AK, KQ, etc).

barring a very unusual play by the button, Clark is very often (almost always) ahead on the river...

Josh

Mikey
07-09-2004, 01:37 AM
this post is going to get 1000 views minimum.

Clarkmeister
07-09-2004, 01:48 AM
Good post. I like that line. Although I really don't think he is 3-betting me with AJ. The AQ angle alone is enough. He doesn't need to fold it very often and you are right that a paired hand is unlikely from him given this action.

bernie
07-09-2004, 02:02 AM
Id put a bet in somewhere. When he checks the turn, i'm at least betting the river here. Would he play this way with a PP? Doubt it. He'd likely bet the flop or turn. He checks 2 streets, im at least leading the last one.

You could even bet the K on the turn. I think that's a better spot to try and pick it up, (semi)bluffwise.

I just dont dig the 3 street check through. Too much respect, imo.

b

Diplomat
07-09-2004, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
more importantly, i think, any pair would bet the flop. The only hand I'd fear is TT, and even then, only rarely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I should have noticed that the first time around. I agree %100.

-Diplomat

Josh W
07-09-2004, 02:14 AM
Semi bluffing the turn is silly. After the flop check, the two most likely hands are TT and AK. The three most likely hands are TT, AK, and AA. All of these will raise the turn.

Now, you have to fold, or make an immensely thin call (you'll be getting like 7:1 to call....you have 4 clean outs, maybe two bets of implied odds, and three more outs that may be okay once in a blue moon (those would be the aces, for when your opponent has KQ).

Almost as importantly as your induced-turn-fold is the future impact. It announces to the table "hey, he bets the turn and folds for a bet". Any semibluffing you want to do go down the tubes, as it will now always cost you 2 bets to draw. So, in turn, you'll stop semi bluffing. Now, you need to make hands.

The only reason to bet the turn is if you (before he checks the turn) put your opponent on AQ or AJ. If you can do this (AGAIN, BEFORE HE CHECKS THE TURN) then you should cap preflop and/or bet the flop.

But I see no redeeming merit to a naked bet on the turn.

As I said earlier, though, I would certainly bet the river.

Josh

bernie
07-09-2004, 02:42 AM
The turn bet i would contemplate depending on just how much this player 'respects' my play along with how he 'checked' behind me on the flop.

I agree that you decide this before the turn card is out. If you make this turn bet, you dont hesitate to represent that that K hit you. My thoughts are much more in tune with the type of players i face regularly. Which, they would bet the flop with AA or AK and are somewhat obvious when the flop 'missed' them.

[ QUOTE ]
As I said earlier, though, I would certainly bet the river

[/ QUOTE ]

I also like betting the river more-so than the turn. It 'can' look like a missed turn c/r. A bet has to be put in somewhere postflop, imo.

b