PDA

View Full Version : WTF am I thinking?

Chris Daddy Cool
07-08-2004, 05:26 PM
UB .50/1.00 no limit hold'em

I have no reads on anybody as this is my first orbit.

I'm UTG with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif and open it up for 3.00.
I'm called in like 5 spots.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks it to me. I bet 8 bucks into the 15 dollar pot(too weak, I know). All else fold to MP who calls. SB then min-checkraises to 16. I then make it an even 35. MP gets out of the way. SB moves all in. I have 51 dollars left. I sit there and think and think and think and fold.

A couple of WTF? all around the table. I assume they were talking about my fold.

I'm okay with my fold, but wtf am I thinking with my re-raise?

kyro
07-08-2004, 05:31 PM
you were thinking you were sitting at the 2+2 table. i've heard the stories. awful awful stories.

JrJordan
07-08-2004, 05:35 PM
I think the situation becomes a lot easier when you make a pot sized bet on the flop. When he minraises here, it seems to speak a lot more than when you half pot it and he could be reading weakness. With a party poker sized stack I'd probably push over the villain's reraise, but with the 100x BB for UB, you're probably best laying it down after the minraise. Make it easy on yourself and pot the flop. Against 4,000 PF calling stations, it makes it a lot easier to lay down TPTK for a pot sized minraise.

TStoneMBD
07-08-2004, 05:35 PM
I would have raised it more preflop, at least to 8$. Your small raise allowed for too many people to creep in. When the SB actually checkraised you I would consider folding here, but I would definitely call before reraising. When a SB is check raising a preflop raiser you can be pretty sure he has a hand unless he is just trying to buy the pot in case you have QQ and are scared of the ace. If that is the case than calling is better than reraising here.

JrJordan
07-08-2004, 05:38 PM
I just realized how weak-tight my position sounds. Is it bad to fold to a minraise with TPTK? I guess it'd be easier with so many PF callers. With one or two opponents I'd probably be inclined to reraise like you did. Now I'm just all torn up inside /images/graemlins/frown.gif Just go all in... then you don't have to make any more decisions /images/graemlins/smile.gif

B1GF1SHY
07-08-2004, 05:52 PM
8x the BB preflop with just AK? $4 or maybe $5 but I think $8 is overkill with a $1 BB. On the pot you bet close to pot sized because all he did was raise it to pot-sized since you bet so weak. If you get min-raised when you pot it then SB most likely has 2-pair, so you can get out.

Richie Rich
07-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Quick freeze frame...I'd say your opponent is holding one of the following:

** 88/55 for set
** A8/A5
** any two diamonds (flush draw)
** 67 (OESD)

I think your raise to 35 on the flop was actually a good move, because it cost you "a lot less" than if you would've bet against your opponent all the way to the river. Had he just called your re-raise, then I would've put him on a flush/str8 draw. (If a non-scare card fell on the turn, I would've been willing to go all-in.) But when he came back over the top and put all his chips in the middle, I'd say he has a "made" hand that could easily beat your TPTK -- most likely with a set of 8s or 5s. After all, your PF raise was only 3xBB and you were called in 5 spots...

bunky9590
07-08-2004, 07:40 PM
What did I tell you about getting married to TPTK????

My standard play here is to open for 4 bucks. I pot the flop after the callers. If the Sb check raises, it means he wants to play for stacks. I'm not really big on the checkraise there. If he has a set, I'm toast, If he has diamonds, with the Ace he is the fave. I dont like either scenario. If you call here how likely is he to pot the turn?
If hes likely to pot the turn, I fold. I'll pick a spot to really smack this clown around when I flop the set against him. Time is on your side and playing for stacks with one pair hands will get you busted.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-08-2004, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What did I tell you about getting married to TPTK????

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you saw the part where I folded right? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif