PDA

View Full Version : How well or not did I play this?

Maverick_00
07-08-2004, 02:53 PM
I was dealt 5-5 in middle position in a $.50/$1 NL game. I limp in and the sb raises it $4 more, the bb calls and i decide to call as both players have a lot in front of them. Flop comes A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif . The sb bets out $3 and the bb then raises it to $10, I flat call and the sb folds. The turn is the 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif and the bb bets $20 and i move all in for $80 more (he had about as much as me maybe a little less). He thinks for a while and folds claiming he had AK. Did I bet too much on the turn or should I have raised on the flop. Any feedback would be gladly appreciated.

Richie Rich
07-08-2004, 03:44 PM
On a non-coordinated rainbow board, not sure why you had to push on the turn. A min-raise on the turn would've been much better, then a value bet on the river (which could very likely put him all in anyways). But hindsight is 20/20.

t_petrosian
07-08-2004, 03:48 PM
I think you played fine. You won a $57 pot with a hand that may be vulnerable if he got to see another card. There is a flush draw and straight draw, in addition to the possibility that he has AK, AQ. Catch an A or a A/Q on these two and you're toast. You made it VERY unprofitable for him to draw to a possible flush or straight - I think that's good

Jugador
07-08-2004, 03:58 PM
With the opponents bet of $20 and your "possible" call of $20 (plus a raise), you will have a pot of $75 plus the raise amount.

I think if you wanted to maximize your profit here, you'd make a raise of $40 (making it $60 to go). This might entice him to call, whereas a raise from $20 to $100ish didn't.

This raise would serve by giving him improper odds to draw to a possible flush/straight. Given this situation, I would WANT him to call with those bad odds, and with that raise he might also call with an AK (you definitely want a call with this hand), allowing you to get the last $40 in on the river.

Picking up the pot on the turn, as it turned out, is a fine play as well.

greenage
07-08-2004, 04:05 PM
After BB’s Turn bet there is $58 in the pot and just calling his bet (let alone a less than all-in raise) puts your investment in this hand at ~37% (assuming I added correctly).

I think it’s push time and that you played the hand well.

TStoneMBD
07-08-2004, 05:08 PM
You guys are giving the BB too much credit here. Do you really think he's firing chips into the pot with a flush draw here? He's drawing dead, and you need to milk this one. I would raise any amount on the turn that you think he is likely to call. There is no set standard for how much to raise here because if there was, everyone would immediately know that you have a huge hand. allinning the turn here is fine, but its not fine when you don't get him to call.