PDA

View Full Version : this is why you raise pocket Aces preflop

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
07-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $0.75.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (16 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 8c 9d (two pair, nines and eights).
UTG shows Ac As (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 18 BB. </font>

easypete
07-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Just a question.... Why did you slow down? The 4 is a blank. If you are capping the flop, why not raise the turn to charge the club/heart/straight draws an extra bet (or 2)?

Ok... that was 2 questions.

sfer
07-08-2004, 03:23 PM
If the table is aggressive limping with AA intending to 3-bet a raise isn't the worst thing in the world. But just to clear up something that's moderately important that this post seems to contradict during a slow day at the office, you raise UTG with AA. What is the ideal number of players seeing the flop along with you?

chief444
07-08-2004, 03:30 PM
I may lead the turn here. But I certainly wouldn't raise. I think you may be focusing on the results and not considering what possible hands the opponent holds that may be played this way. It is a fairly coordinated board with a lot of hands that may beat middle two pair, IMO. Now if his opponent did raise pf I would be more inclined to raise the turn. As it is a straight or better two pair or something else better than 9's up seems likely given the action, and with no pf raise you would certainly not consider an overpair likely.

I do like leading the turn here though just in case the opponent was playing a flush draw or JT aggressively on the flop.

chief444
07-08-2004, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you raise UTG with AA. What is the ideal number of players seeing the flop along with you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess all of them (9). /images/graemlins/wink.gif Am I on the right track?

sfer
07-08-2004, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would guess all of them (9). Am I on the right track?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Stated another way, if I raise with AA I would love you to call with 89o.

SnakeRat
07-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Either bet out or check-raise the turn.
Bet river.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
07-08-2004, 03:44 PM
snakerat,

After UTG capped the flop (especially after limping preflop), I thought it reasonable that he was likely holding QT, a set, or better two pair. This hand is not strong enough to lead the turn after the flop action, regardless of the actual results of this particular hand.

Ralph Wiggum
07-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Even if UTG raised, I still would have limped, assuming the same number of callers.

SnakeRat
07-08-2004, 04:07 PM
It looks to me like he was most likely jamming a draw on the flop.

Even if he wasnt if you bet and he raises you force all those other draws to call 2-cold or fold.

I think you are ahead most of the time here and even if you arent, you have outs against everyithing except JJ, and the more unlikely 99.

Why do you think you are beat?

Tosh
07-08-2004, 06:17 PM
I don't see a problem slowing down. All you have is bottom 2 on a coordinated board against a guy who limps and caps the flop.

SnakeRat
07-08-2004, 06:40 PM
The problem I see is you risk giving a free or cheap card to people who are clearly on draws, or behind you.

The guy who caps the flop could have a pair with a draw, or just a draw.
Maybe even top pair.

Maybe the chance that somebody has a better 2pair, a set, or a straight out-weighs this. I dont think it does FWIW..