PDA

View Full Version : This should get me flamed

1800GAMBLER
07-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $15.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (14.66 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.83 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero folds.

The hand wasn't played like this, i called down. However i think this is the correct way to play it.

If hero called:

River: (14.83 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero ...

DcifrThs
07-08-2004, 01:41 PM
mmhmmm, right, right, mmmhmmm...WHAT?!?!?

-Barron

PS- nobody will get it so ill just say you know feeney is tossing and turning in his bed w/ nightmares about this hand.

Clarkmeister
07-08-2004, 01:43 PM
You should definitely check the turn.

esspo
07-08-2004, 01:59 PM
I don't understand why a check on the turn is correct, especially given some of the PP folk's love of pumping flush draws on the flop.

1800GAMBLER
07-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Bump. The reason you say that is if i'm folding to the raise, right?

Clarkmeister
07-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Given the action there is virtually no reason to put UTG on a flush draw.

esspo
07-08-2004, 02:44 PM
I agree a flush draw is unlikely, but we are in PP land...

As for the check on the turn, now that I think about it against an opponent that is somwhere between sane and tough, I see the merit of your position. Since hero bet, I would fold after a checkraise (assuming the same type of opponent).

Against an unknown opponent on PP (or someone I have classified as poor), I think a bet on the turn is the right play. If a have notes on a player that they are poor or have a tendency to overplay underpairs I would definately call down after the checkraise. I have not done a real analysis, but I have seen that play made too many times with nothing to think its not at least small +EV.

Against an unkown on PP I am not sure of the correct play after the turn checkraise. Any thoughts?

Gamblor
07-08-2004, 03:02 PM
PF: If UTG is a tight, solid player, let it go preflop. If he's loose and has low openraising standards, then the 3-bet is okay. In the absence of any reads from an UTG raiser, I think I'm folding AQo. Party is Party, but AQo to an UTG raiser is still AQo to an UTG raiser. There's virtually no chance you have the best hand, and pushing UTG off a better hand (AK or a PP) or improving is your only hope.

As usual, mistakes compound in poker.

On the flop, you played fine. But by the turn, you should be thinking about what UTG is check-raise-calling with on the flop. The check-raise may be a move, but he called your 3-bet. AK? Flopped a set so he can check-raise the turn? Way too often in this game EP players are calling flop 3-bets then check-raising the turn. About the only flushdraw he could be playing is K /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif and that's certainly an odd way to play a flush draw and a gutshot given you've shown strength preflop, on the flop, and still bet the turn.

I think a check is the right play on the turn, then take the showdown at a cost of 1BB.

I think 3-betting against one opponent has much less value than 3-betting against multiple opponents, unless you have a monster. The 3-bet will either make him fold a worse hand than your top pair second kicker, or you'll lose more with a worse hand. In these spots against one opponent I like to get really passive and let the overaggressive Partiers lead the whole way with a worse hand that will win me more, or a better hand that will lose me less.

ike
07-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Exactly.

J.A.Sucker
07-08-2004, 04:29 PM
I would play the hand the same way, except:

1. I'd fold preflop, unless I know this guy is loose.
2. I'd check behind the turn.
3. I'd call the river bet, regardless of what came off, unless it was a non-spade Q, then I'd raise and call a 3 bet.

1800GAMBLER
07-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. I butchered this one.