PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds are forever

Analyst
07-08-2004, 01:06 PM
20-40 at the local B&M, 5 handed. I'm not at all used to playing tables with less than 7-8 players so was in somewhat unfamiliar waters.

Most of the players seem to be decent. BB in this case is slightly loose (at least in the full games), sometimes on the tricky side but pretty good overall.

I'm UTG with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif and open-raise. Folded to the SB, who completes as does the BB.

In a full game with even moderately decent players, I'd muck this. Here, I figured that I have position on half of the table, so played it like I was sitting LMP in a full game. Right move?

Flop is J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks, BB bets, I raise, SB calls, BB 3-bets, I call, SB calls.

Beautiful flop - TP, great kicker and 2nd-nut flush draw. Based on the 3-bet, though the BB may already have a flush, probably not too big. I'm not too sure about the SB. I don't know if he'd bet right out if he held the Ace of diamonds.

Turn is 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks, BB bets, I raise, SB (thinks and thinks and thinks . . .) folds, BB 3-bets, I call

Given the 3-bet, I must be behind the BB, no? Anyone fold here? The pot's pretty big.

River is T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB (thinks and thinks and thinks) bets, I call.

Now there're three cards that I'm behind, but it's an even bigger pot. I said "Merry Christmas" as the chips hit the pot.

Thoughts on all streets greatly appreciated.

DcifrThs
07-08-2004, 01:12 PM
you're nuts...fold the river...he was thinking either b/c he's WORRIED about the Q or he has the Q lol...obviously he has the ace...

merry christmas indeed.

is it legal at that cardroom to have 8 chips in your hand, throw them up from behind the betting line, say merry christmas, then catch all 8 chips in a nice stack before they hit the felt and say, "bah humbug, i fold"?

-Barron

nepenthe
07-08-2004, 01:13 PM
It really looks as if BB holds the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is afraid you hit a straight flush. Either way you're screwed. You're toast to A, Q (unlikely) or 7 (even more unlikely) of diamonds. I would not have raised the turn and hoped to see a showdown for cheap, but having played the turn as you did, I think it's a fold right there.

Noo Yawk
07-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Hi Analyst,

If I counted right, the pot has 9.5 BB's in it. It's an easy call. Your opponent will play a set or two pair or a small pair with a diamond in it this way on the turn often enough in shorthanded games. On the River, your probably going to lose fairly often, but your going to win enough for this to be a profitable call.

AJo Go All In
07-08-2004, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you're nuts...fold the river...he was thinking either b/c he's WORRIED about the Q or he has the Q lol...obviously he has the ace...

[/ QUOTE ]

you serious?

DcifrThs
07-08-2004, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think there is almost no way the BB doesn't have the Ace here. so yes, i'm serious. but the fact that i said almost may indicate a call...i have no qualms about folding this one on the river though after being 3 bet on the turn with another street to come.

-Barron

ike
07-08-2004, 03:53 PM
raising the turn was your mistake. this raise will very likely fold a small flopped flush (at least it should) and will be 3bet every time by the ace. just call it down and win more when ahead and lose less when behind.

Richard Berg
07-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Exactly. As far as I can tell the only hand you hope to fold is the Q, and even then you should be happy to let her draw to a one-outer.

elysium
07-09-2004, 03:01 PM
hi analyst
5-way no good analyst. i don't know why. it has a unique set of problematic areas that i have never really thought a lot about. i just know to tighten more than seems necessary. it is a mistake to think that UTG in a 5-way is on par with LMP in a large multi-way, or that it is correct to enter in with LMP type hands from EP in a 5-way. i have to admit that it seems correct, and also that i have no idea about why it isn't correct.