PDA

View Full Version : Pot odds needed with medium suited connectors

07-08-2004, 04:37 AM
This post is in regards to medium suited connectors like 5-6s, 6-7s, 7-8s.
What kind of odds are you wanting to make playing these hands +EV?
Around 4 to 1 minimum? Does anything change when calling a raise?

ngkent
07-08-2004, 10:45 AM
I like limping in with these guys when there are 4+ callers...I wouldn't call a raise with them unless I was in the BB and even then iffy...a raise signifies big pair or big cards...possible bigger suited connectors of your same suit and then you are fuxed

Big Jon
07-08-2004, 11:10 AM
I think a lot of the value of suited connectors comes from the implied odds if you make a hand than the actual pot odds you're being laid. The more limpers you have, the higher your implied odds are. Suited connectors are also real easy to play. If the flop is good, play the hand. If it isn't, don't.

That being said, I'd want at least four limpers before I'd play medium suited connectors (this would include players acting later that I figured would limp e.g., the blinds), and I hate playing them from anything earlier than middle position, unless it's a passive game.

Spyder
07-08-2004, 11:39 AM
I never call a raise with these except for the possible exception that I'll call from the blinds now and then in a loose game only when I have 5 or more callers for that raise.

I'll fold 54s from anywhere except the last 3 positions, last 5 positions for 65s, 76s & 87s.

Bring them in with a raise only if you're Doyle Brunson.

Spyder

J.R.
07-08-2004, 11:53 AM
The true determinative factor is the number of bots seated at your table. Don't f' with them, the'll tear you up.

I play any of these after 2 limpers in a passive game, or after one limper in EP/EMP if I really feel confident there will be limpers behind me and no preflop raise. I will play after more than 2 limpers even if I suspect a raise might occur behind me (but will fold if I am really certain there will be a raise unless there are at least 4 limpers to me already). I really don't worry baout my position so much, if YTG and UTG+1 limp I will play any of these next to act at a full table.

I will also steal riase with these, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Does anything change when calling a raise?

Yes, I fold (at least outside of the blinds and spots where I have posted in the CO).