PDA

View Full Version : QQ with overcard on flop...is my reasoning correct?

heatscan
07-08-2004, 04:36 AM
Party .25/.50. I'm UTG with QQ and a stack of around $45. I make it $3, player to my left calls. He has a stack of around $30.

Flop comes 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I don't have a diamond in my hand.

I bet the pot ($6), he calls. Flop comes 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I check, he bets $5, I fold.

A $5 bet into an $18 pot felt like he wanted me to call. If he was on a draw, he'd either take the free card or bet bigger to try and bluff me out. A raise on my part wouldn't faze him, because I wouldn't bet out on the flop and then check the turn with a legitimate hand. Therefore I folded. Is my reasoning correct?

TStoneMBD
07-08-2004, 04:41 AM
Yah you can't go calling this bet down to the river. I would actually have bet out less on the flop here as the only hand that is going to call you is a hand that beats you. Probably half the pot seems about right in my eyes, but not everyone agrees with my logic when it comes to overcards vs pps

Guy McSucker
07-08-2004, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

A raise on my part wouldn't faze him, because I wouldn't bet out on the flop and then check the turn with a legitimate hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leak alert!!!

I think it's important to check-raise the turn with good hands that you've bet on the flop some of the time. It provides cover for the very common situation of raising preflop and bettting the flop with unimproved AK. You'd like your foes to check behind some of the time rather than betting you out of the pot every time you check.

Conversely, if they're in the habit of betting the turn when you check, then it's clear that you can make a bit of money by check-raising good hands on the turn.

It was Zag who pointed this out to me. Check out his posts: they're excellent.

Guy.

LikesToLose
07-08-2004, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Conversely, if they're in the habit of betting the turn when you check, then it's clear that you can make a bit of money by check-raising good hands on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is move will often win you entire stacks.