PDA

View Full Version : Books for No Limit

Alobar
07-08-2004, 02:19 AM
I've been playing pretty much nothing but limit hold em since I first got into poker about a year ago. There is the occasional free roll or good overlay that is NL but otherwise its just grinding away at the 3/6 to 5/10 level.

I wanna start to get into No Limit but don't really know a good no limit book. I went to Barnes and Noble today and there are like 50 diff poker books and im sure NL books are alot like the limit books (i.e. lots of them suck) so I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction....thanks!

deacsoft
07-08-2004, 03:04 AM
Super System by Brunson
Cahmpionship No-Limit and Pot-Limit Hold'em by McEvoy and Cloutier
No-Limit Texas Hold'em by Daughertry and McEvoy

MasterShakes
07-08-2004, 03:10 AM
Pot Limit and No Limit Poker - Ciaffone and Reuben - hands down, the best and likely the only nearly required reading.

Fnord
07-08-2004, 08:29 AM
Theory of Poker covers most of what you need to know.

Don't follow the NLHE advise in Super System for short stacked (50xBB) low limit games.

JohnG
07-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Without question, 'pot and no limit poker', and 'improve your poker'. Both by Ciaffone. Along with supersysytem. The rest that are currently on the market are not very good nor necessary. Some more are coming soon, which I expect to be worthwhile.

ClimbRock512
07-08-2004, 01:44 PM
I started reading Daugherty and McEvoy's but I thought it was very elementry and incomplete. I was trying to brush up on my NL skills, and that was not the book for me. I think it is rather misleading for the beginner though.

I don't reccommend Super System for the beginner or for shortstack(online) games. It is all about being aggressive, picking up small pots, playing more hands, chasing more draws all so that you can bust HUGE stacks. He plays a lot for implied odds that are not present in the online max buy-in games.

I hear that Ciaffone is the best, I've been looking for it at local book stores, I'll probably end up ordering it off the internet.

Haha, sorry I can't lead you in the right direction, but I hope I can steer you away from the wrong direction.