PDA

View Full Version : HU league: cero_z vs. gomberg

cero_z
07-08-2004, 02:06 AM
Hi Everyone,
gomberg and I played our Week 1 HU matches tonight, and this is the recap. I won, 2 matches to 1, but in my view, the cards decided the outcome. I'm not sure how educational this league will turn out to be, since there's tons of luck involved, but maybe it'll be fun to review some hands. In any event, I think gomberg plays goot.
The first match came down to 3 key hands, IMO. I haven't gotten a chance to discuss them with gomberg himself, so in some cases, I don't know what he held. Anyway, here goes.
Key Hand #1
We were almost even when this hand started. gb raised to 40 from the SBB, and I called with A /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. The flop was T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif, and gb half-potted it (40); I called. 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the turn, I checked, and he bet 100. I called, and we saw the river card: 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I checked, he bet 200, and I folded after some thought. I felt the river bet was a little too small, and now could not beat any worse Ace or some semi-bluffing hands he might've held.
Key Hand #2
When this hand came up, we were almost equal in chips (1540 for gb, 1460 for me), though the lead had bounced back and forth, as we each had won a few pots in which the pre-flop raiser followed up with a pot-sized bet, winning it right there. In all of the previous cases, an Ace or King had flopped. But in this hand, with blinds of 10 & 20, gomberg raised it to 60 from the SBB, and I called with K /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif.
I checked the flop of T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and he checked behind me. The turn card was the 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and I bet double the pot (240). He raised to 580. At this point, I put him on 2 overcards with a diamond, or a stone bluff, or a diamond flush, in that order. I thought back to his check behind me on the flop, and felt that he would've likely bet with an overpair, top pair, or a set, due to the 2 diamonds on board. And with position on me, it would be risky to raise the turn if he held a flush, since he might lose me there. I decided that he was trying to lose me right there, so I moved all-in. I expected all better hands to call, but I didn't want to give him a look at the river for less than all my chips. He thought for a while, said, "good bet," (which makes me think he put me on less than I actually had), and folded.
Key Hand #3
When this hand began, I had a 2-1 chip lead, and had been using it to grind him down, making numerous overbets before and on the flop. He limped on the button; I checked with the 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif. The flop came A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif, I checked, and he bet 40. I called. The flop was the T /images/graemlins/heart.gif, and I bet the pot (120), to put pressure on him with the flush now possible. gomberg called. The river was the 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, giving me a straight. I bet 500, and he called with the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Had he pushed on the turn, I would've folded, but his attempt to trap me was understandable, given my previous pattern of overbets and his need to double through. This hand left him with about 200 chips, and I was able to get him eventually.
Wow. That was long, even at 3 hands. If people seem to care, I'll post the other 2 matches a bit later. In my mind, the most debatable plays in this post are my all-in move in hand #2, and gomberg's flat-call in hand #3. Comments appreciated.

gomberg
07-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Cero plays goot. On hand 1 - I think I had A2 and really didn't like that river card, as I knew it would kill my action. I really didn't think you had an ace (since I had one too), or I would have been betting more /images/graemlins/smile.gif Good laydown on the river.

On hand 2, I either picked up a pair of 9s or I was on a pure bluff, but there was no way I could call that all-in - good thought process. I was for sure trying to lose you with that bet.

Hand 3, my turn call was pretty bad. I was trying to trap you and instead trapped myself. I was hoping you would continue with a bluff, but the board was just too draw-heavy and I should have raised big on the turn. You had a monster draw. Good bet on the turn, because if checked to, I probably would have bet much bigger than that.

Good analysis - I'll try to look through some hands if I have time so I can post about game 2 (where one of my flat calls actually worked in my favor /images/graemlins/smile.gif )