PDA

View Full Version : A turn decision

SteveY
07-08-2004, 01:49 AM
PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, MP1 folds.

I don't really think my turn play was bad here, but do you think I could have bet out instead. It's kind of a semibluff, and the only hand that could really raise me is trip sevens or a boat, so that gives me somewhat reliable info that could tell me if my overcard outs are legit. Whereas check-calling leaves me wondering.

Also is my PF complete okay or too loose?

bisonbison
07-08-2004, 03:31 AM
preflop is fine, flop is fine, but I think you have to bet the turn because a raise is going to be a seven often enough that you can fold in a small pot. If you're just called, you may be drawing to as many as 10 outs, which isn't bad.

As it is, I don't know. I don't think this call is terrible if you're closing the action, but you're not.

Jaran
07-08-2004, 03:34 AM
Hey Steve,
Pf is fine. Flop is fine. Fold the turn. The pot is really small and if you're against (likely) trips, your only outs are the 4 nines. Just save your money for a better spot.

-Jaran

Peter Harris
07-08-2004, 05:19 AM
PF complete is perfectly acceptable.
flop fine

turn: i think leading the turn with your overcards, like bison advocates, is acceptaboool - if raised by a flop checker that screams "trips trips trips" and you can ditch. if called, bet any JT9 on the river.

Your thought process is very good for a .02/.04 player. Build a bankroll and join the .5/1 party!

Regards,
Pete Harris

cjromero
07-08-2004, 09:24 AM
I like leading out on the turn here. You have two overcards and a gutshot draw, and there is a good chance you have the best hand. If you are behind trips, you will almost always be raised on the turn, and you can comfortably fold given the small pot.

As played, I would fold to the turn bet.

SteveY
07-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Cool. My turn call during the hand was like: Well he could be betting an 8, in which case I had 10 outs, which is 3.6 to 1 to hit. I have the pot odds so I call.

I didn't give enough consideration to the seven, which would make this call marginal and not worth it given the small pot.

But yeah it looks like betting out gives me more information without having to risk more than I risked by just check-calling, as I can easily fold to a raise.

As for building my bankroll, I'm working on it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It might be a while before I get to $300 for .5/1 on Party though, but I'm not in a hurry.