PDA

View Full Version : Too aggressive with KTs?

afk
07-07-2004, 11:35 PM
I feel my postflop play hasn't been as aggressive as I would like it to be lately. That said, I think I overplayed this hand. Opponents are typical loose passive microlimit players. I welcome all comments, suggestions and criticisms.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks,

Flop: (7.40 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, BB calls.

River: (11.70 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 13.70 BB

afk
07-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Already looking at this hand, I don't like my turn bet, and I don't like the flop raise because I raised into 5 other players.

TBone
07-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Not a big fan of the flop raise. I know that HEPFAP says you should raise middle, bottom pair when your kicker is an Ace, but in this case I don't like it. It's highly unlikely you're going to get everyone to fold since you were bet into so it's really not even a semibluff.

For one thing, you don't have an Ace. For another thing, even if you hit your Kings up, you are now open to a possible straight. You can't necessarily call the 3 Kings out there outs at this point.

There are possible straight draws out there, so any callers to your raise and bettors likely either have a straight draw or a queen. Given the fact you got cold called and bet into on the flop, I don't think I'd bet out on the turn.

And at micro limits, I don't think I like your raise on the flop as many people at Micro are calling down with their queens.

T

tech
07-08-2004, 01:37 AM
Given your position relative to the flop bet, this hand is going to be ugly no matter how you play it. You can either call all the way (and hope for no raise behind) or you can play it as you did. I think the way you played it gives you a better chance to win the pot.

afk
07-08-2004, 06:21 AM
MP3 had Q4s and MHIG. Totally rivered the guy.

Tosh
07-08-2004, 06:27 AM
I likely raise preflop.

cjromero
07-08-2004, 08:14 AM
Especially given your position, middle pair is tough to play.

As 6 others saw the flop, I don't like the flop raise, as you are likely putting in more money when you don't have the best hand and probably aren't drawing to the best hand. Unless you spike another ten as you did, you probably aren't winning this pot, as anyone dumb enough to play Qx is seeing a showdown with top pair.

Given that two people behind you called two bets cold on the flop, I don't like the turn bet either.

Raising preflop might have helped get some of the Qx, Kx, and Ax players out and made the hand easier to play.

imitation
07-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Hmm first in EP I fold these pretty often, I open raise KJs EP though.