PDA

View Full Version : What's with blaming the dealer

RydenStoompala
07-07-2004, 04:04 PM
I am intrigued by the effect of emotions on my fellow players. Is dealer abuse a form of tilt or another valve? I've noticed it is more common in my mid limit games than it was at lower limits, and sometimes it is incredibly nasty. I'm probably missing the obvious but why verbally or physically assault someone who is not actually affecting your play?

cardcounter0
07-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Two Reasons:

1) Clinton isn't any where around, and Hillary doesn't play poker.

2) Pure Ignorance.

Homer
07-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Because they are either:

1) Idiots who don't understand that the dealer might just as well be a robot

or

2) Assholes

SnakeRat
07-07-2004, 05:57 PM
I like the idiots at BJ tables who want to fight me when I make some "error" which "messes up the deck" for them.

People are just stupid and have strange beliefs about what causes them to win or lose..

caretaker1
07-07-2004, 06:24 PM
"Two Reasons:

1) Clinton isn't any where around, and Hillary doesn't play poker.

2) Pure Ignorance."

One of the best posts ever. LMAO

Al Schoonmaker
07-07-2004, 11:10 PM
People blame the dealer, other players, karma, the Poker Gods, or whatever primarily to avoid responsibility for their own actions.
They essentially say, "I'm a good player, but I don't get the results I deserve because...... (insert excuse).
Dealers are a convenient excuse because they are right there, and they can't hit back.
Abusing them is not just stupid. It's cowardly.
I detest rude people, especially ones who are rude to dealers.
Al

andyfox
07-08-2004, 01:16 AM
You're right. These people are always complaining about their bad luck.

But they're also, as you point out, just plain rude. Poker attracts a good many people who are either anti-social or otherwise misfit for society. They seem to enjoy being mean, and often pick on the more defenseless dealers, rather than other players, who must maintain some degree of professionalism.

Clarkmeister
07-08-2004, 02:33 AM
"seem to enjoy being mean, and often pick on the more defenseless dealers, rather than other players"

While not ideal, this is much better than the alternative. And part of the reason LA games are more profitable and fun than in Vegas.

MicroBob
07-08-2004, 05:38 AM
i was a BJ dealer for 8 months last year....it was astonishing to me how much credit i got for good cards and how much blame i got for bad cards.

i would hit my hand to 21 and players would get mad at me....which i knew would happen because i used to be a player as well....but it still is bizarre to experience.

one time i had two cards come out of the shoe at the same time when i was 'burning a card' at the start. i just burned both of them and the players freaked because i was 'messing up the flow'.

i really really really don't like feeling intellectually superior to others....but honestly, how can people be THAT freaking stupid??

i've also sat at poker tables where players would seriously believe that they would never get good cards when such-and-such dealer was at the table or would want a change of decks after taking consecutive bad-beats or if the same guy got big starting cards on back-to-back hands.
don't they see that the cards are already being shuffled??

i too am curious as to the psychology behind all of this blaming. when i lose at a game i know is beatable, i slow down and wonder what it is that I am doing wrong to be losing (if anything but natural variance).
when most other players lose, there is ALWAYS an excuse that is anything but the real cause....which, of course, is their own terrible play.

elwoodblues
07-08-2004, 09:07 AM
The same people tip extra when they hit a good hand as well (as if the dealer caused it)

Noo Yawk
07-08-2004, 09:41 AM
There are actually 2 dealers I know of that also believe they are bad luck for certain players. Go figure /images/graemlins/cool.gif!