PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do? Pot Odds

02-03-2002, 09:57 PM
I was playing in a tournament over the weekend. I'm on the button with J,Q suited. The blinds are 75,150 with the betting at 150,300 and I have a stack of about 800 chips in front of me (It's the 3rd or 4th round and we started with 1050). UTG (he doesn't need a good hand to bet) bets, all fold to me and I call. SB folds, BB checks. There is 525 in the pot. The flop comes 7,9,8 rainbow, none of my suit. UTG bets and the pot is now at 675. I have a gutshot draw with 2 overcards. If I bet 150 the pot will be 825 giving me about 8-1 on my gutshot which is about 10-1 to hit. What would you do?

02-03-2002, 10:03 PM
I didn't have the pot odds for the gutshot, but I did have 2 overcards. But at this point, I don't really know where I'm at, and I'm not really convinced my hand is a winner. I can't make a flush and even if I pair, I could be outkicked.

I mucked.

The BB raised and the other player called. The turn came with my 10, which would have given me the nut straight! The BB checked and the other player checked as well. The River brought a 2. BB bet, the other player called. BB had A,Q and the other player had pocket 3's and took down the pot!

Did I botch this or did I play it right? These are the types of hands which give me trouble, so any advice would be appreciated.

02-03-2002, 10:25 PM
nm

02-04-2002, 02:01 AM
You would probably get a pretty solid answer from Fossilman if you posted this in the tournament forum. I would probably raise or fold both preflop and on the flop, leaning towards fold preflop and raise postflop. But then again, I'm just a live limit player, so take that for what it's worth. /images/wink.gif