PDA

View Full Version : Does your seat really matter?

02-03-2002, 08:45 PM
Howdy all,

I was playing in a game the other day, and I was running bad. A player, who had the first seat change, said to me. "hey you want the first seat change?" I said "Nah...I don't really belive that a seat change changes your luck"

My question is this. What do you guys think about this?

Do you think as he does...that if you change seats, your cards are going to change?

or do you think as I..that your seat does not matter...only in the fact of position related to your opponents, not to the cards.

02-03-2002, 11:34 PM
During a short period of time, it's statistically likely that one seat at the table will get a higher % of premium hands than the other nine seats (Of course, in the long run it will balance out). So, you should sit in that seat.

If anybody knows how to figure out what the "lucky seat" is going to be, please let the rest of us know.

If you can't figure out which seat is the "lucky seat", then it doesn't matter where you sit.

/images/tongue.gif

02-04-2002, 12:45 AM
you answered your own question, your seat in relation to your opponents. it can make a huge difference. i prefer my weaker opponents to my right, and tighter to my left. think of it this way, the money, like the action, flows around the table clockwise. by putting yourself to the left of weak opponents, you get first crack at their money. it has to go thru you first.

when i first sit down, if i have a choice, i sit behind the bigger stack, or worst player of the choice. big stack doesnt necessarily mean a better player. i was waiting to get in a game and watched a guy with about 47 big bets in front of him. so i watched a little as i waited to get a seat. he didnt seem to see many flops, hmmm. then i saw him limp with QTos UTG. BING!!! I knew where i wanted to sit. and lo and behold, that seat opened up. within about an hour and half i was up around 15 BB and hew eventually left with only about 10BB.

as far as cold cards? seat change may help psycologically. which may benefit ya. that feng shui deal. but its not gonna change the cards yer getting. but sometimes a 'fresh' start is alls thats needed to jump your game a little...

just some ideas...

b

02-04-2002, 06:05 AM
Mike,

First, at most you “ran bad”, given that “running bad” implies a continuation of bad luck into the future. Future luck is independent of past luck.

Next, don’t ever tell people at the table you don’t believe in their crazy ideas about lucky seats and such. You want them to believe you believe in this stuff as much as they do. Sometimes you can use this to your advantage. For example, a live one has been on a rush and has a ton of chips. He starts to look at his watch and rack up his chips so you are concerned he is going to leave. Now say something like: “Hey, if you leave I claim first dibs on your seat. I’ve never seen a seat so hot.” Now maybe the live one realizes he is foolish to leave a hot seat and he stays and gives you a shot at his money.

Lastly, your cards are always going to change whether you change seats or not. You just can’t predict when they are going to change for better or worse so don’t get married to them.

Regards,

Rick

02-04-2002, 06:09 AM
bernie,

Good post. I like Tommy Angelo's advice that when you have to make quick decisions on a seat concentrate on getting a tight, uminaginitive player or two on your left. The rest tends to take care of itself.

Regards,

Rick

02-04-2002, 02:57 PM
Is That why he always sits to my right! Alright I'm getting my crayons out and practicing on my imagination!

02-04-2002, 06:00 PM
Rick,

This is totally irrelevant to the post, and I understand the connoitation, but where the hell did the phrase "I got dibs" originate?

DanS

02-05-2002, 01:01 PM
I have a theory that your own confidence or belief that you will win when in a hand can be felt by other players, no matter how incompetent they are. So if you've got it in your head for some reason that you just can't win were you're sitting, however irrational that may be, it might be time to move(subset of the "not my night" theory). plus some seats are easier to see from /images/smile.gif