PDA

View Full Version : please beat me for my timid play

dfscott
07-07-2004, 11:37 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t2795)
SB (t3160)
Hero (t2205)
UTG (t5340)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t3050</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t3200
<font color="green">Main Pot: t200 (t200), won by UTG.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t3000 (t3000), returned to UTG.</font>

UTG had played very tightly to this point and hadn't shown down a single hand that he had raised with. Since we were on the bubble, there was a lot of blind stealing going on and not many flops seen. For some reason, I was convinced that he had AA or KK and was trying to bet enough to cover everyone's stack. All I could think about was that I was on the bubble and not really that far behind.

In retrospect, it was more likely his hand was good, but not great, and that he was betting enough to ensure that the other players would fold so he could take me on heads up. Should I have called all-in regardless of being on the bubble?

whiskeytown
07-07-2004, 11:49 AM
consider yourself beaten up...

he bet over everyone's chip stack (as opposed to going all in, which is easy) -

so why would he not go all in? - perhaps he wants action and going all-in subtly implies that his hand is real good....people who won't call an all in will push all in anyways in a call when it's just half a guy's stack.

I don't think AA or KK - AQ/AK/QQ maybe....tough call...

the really, really clever guys will make that raise with AA and pray for action...but if he's really tight, I wouldn't count on it... - think he wanted one caller -

one comment...you say the BB was 600 - but the main pot was 200 - am I missing something in your description or are the blinds/antes just 200 -

cause if they are, I wouldn't gamble yet with JJ - not with blinds that low...even if there is only one player till the money.

RB

AJo Go All In
07-07-2004, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I have called all-in regardless of being on the bubble?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

dfscott
07-07-2004, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
one comment...you say the BB was 600 - but the main pot was 200 - am I missing something in your description or are the blinds/antes just 200 - [

cause if they are, I wouldn't gamble yet with JJ - not with blinds that low...even if there is only one player till the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like this is just something with bisonbison's converter and/or the hand history. The blinds were 300/600 and there were 25 antes (which is where the 200 main pot came from, I think). When the action was to me, there was (200+300+600+3000) 4100 in the pot and I was deciding whether to call all-in, which would've reduced his raise to 1505 (if my math is correct), leaving him with 3135. When I folded, he just scooped the blinds.

The hand history shows him as collecting 1700 from the pot, which is a little misleading. That would be basically the antes, the bb, the sb, and his call of the bb. Not sure why they count his call in there, but not his raise, but that's the way it's shown.

In any case, the way the converter is showing it is off, so I'll forward it over to bisonbison.

Hood
07-08-2004, 05:23 AM
I think a fold was right here. He may not have AA, KK or QQ, but having at least two overcards is likely, in which case this is close to a 50/50. I don't want to stake all this on a 50/50 just yet.

One question - is the BB really t600? I didn't think there was on a 300/600 on party. And by the look of the final pot, UTG won only t200.. which is the SB and BB included, so I'm not sure what's going on here /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regardless, you may be the short-stack, but you are not yet short-stacked, if you get what I mean. Even if the blind really is T600, You've still got enough chips to hold in. I'd fancy my chances of getting ITM better than 50/50.