PDA

View Full Version : IQ test results

Boris
07-07-2004, 02:18 AM
I know this subject has been discussed before but I thought I'd bring it up again in light of the recent challenges and counter claims issued by frequent posters on this board. What I remember from the last discussion was some crazy high test results. It seemed that most of the posters on this board are flat out geniuses with results that land them, at a minimum, in the upper .6% of the population. Frankly I don't believe it. The first time I took the test I landed exactly in the same place as when I took other standardized tests such as the ACT and the GRE. I took several tests after the first try and did quite a bit better. But I'm not kidding myself. There is no way I'm as smart as the subsequent test results showed. I just got better at taking the test. So just out of curiosity, what is your IQ? And remember, no hyperbole. I'll post what I believe is my "true" IQ later. Suffice it to say I'm not in Slansky's league.

andyfox
07-07-2004, 02:29 AM

theBruiser500
07-07-2004, 02:49 AM
I can readily believe that a lot of the posters on this board are very smart. I've always found that one of the biggest factors in how people get along is if their IQ is similar. I know I'm smart, not sure what my exact IQ is, must be at least 135 - and I "get along well" with most people on this forum. I can just tell that by how people talk that they're smart.

This is hardly proof of anything, just my opinion, take it for what you will...

Ulysses
07-07-2004, 02:58 AM
My IQ test when tested as a child was at genius level. I refuse to take any further IQ tests.

Zeno
07-07-2004, 03:28 AM
This is opening a can of worms. I remember reading Stephen J. Gould's book 'The Mismeasure of Man' about IQ tests, history of, and other related topics. It was indeed interesting.

The IQ test does measure something. I think it can be endlessly debate exactly what. And what is the IQ of the people that design the test - and how do they determine what their IQ is? A self-test? I get lost in all of this.

Measuring 'Intelligence' with a test and then spouting off how 'Intelligent' you are is probably about as wise as measuring your dick and then spouting off about how 9 inches automatically makes you a good lover.

In all honestly I do not know my true IQ. We took tests up through the 6-7 grades that I think were to measure this but we were never told any results. This would be in the mid 1960's. Do they actually tell kids now days. In addition, aren’t there two IQ values? And don't they have to 'normalize' the test results etc.

I was stuck into a ‘special higher class’ for part of the day in the 7th and 8th grades – supposedly on the basis of IQ – that was the rumor amongst the kids anyway. I never excelled at High School and barely graduated. I was an insolent little cuss and ripped at authority at every opportunity, almost never did home work, and just read books and smoked dope in the parking lot.

My younger brother who graduated from High School in 1977 claimed that the school officials told him (or he found out by clandestine means, I don’t remember which) his IQ that is supposedly 130. What this means to me is - not much.

This may prove to be one the most contentious threads yet.

-Zeno

Ed Miller
07-07-2004, 05:24 AM
My IQ test when tested as a child was at genius level. I refuse to take any further IQ tests.

I haven't taken an IQ test since, but I did take one as a little kid. The year I took it, 1986, was an "experimental renormalization" year, so my scores won't look like the numbers that you guys got. But my score was "with 84% confidence between the little Vietnamese dude from Goonies and that wacky robot from Short Circuit."

I thought that was a pretty good score at the time... my buddy got "roughly the same as David Hasselhoff from Knight Rider."

El Barto
07-07-2004, 06:09 AM
I'm looking forward to your thread on phrenology, I'm sure it will be as worthwhile as this one.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-07-2004, 08:43 AM
I heard a story once that Reggie was shooting off his mouth in the clubhouse and stated that he had an IQ of 160.

Mickey Rivers replied "Out of what, 1,000?" <rim shot>

Utah
07-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Having just gone through this, it is very difficult to measure IQ (not to mention trying to figure out what it measures). Currently, there are no tests that do a good job at measuring the upper end of the scale, 130 and above. There is also subjectivity of the tester. Therefore, it is really impossible for someone to say with real confidence - "I have an IQ of 165!!"

The average IQ of this board is vastly superior to the average IQ of the population. No doubt. The dumbest posters on this board still have IQs higher than the national average.

As far as my challenge goes, I am a betting man. Someone called me an idiot so I challenged him to a wager. There are people who can obviously beat me, but statically I like my chances against an unknown (even one who speaks 4 languages).

Boris
07-07-2004, 09:38 AM
you get two extra points automatically.

Boris
07-07-2004, 10:23 AM
lol. Serious question though, phrenology was real big in the early part of the century. My Anthro. professor mentioned in passing that none of the phrenology work found anything significant. I wonder though if the field of study wasn't squashed due to PC concerns?

MMMMMM
07-07-2004, 10:54 AM
On a tangential note:

In the animal kingdom there is a rough correlation between the brain-size/body-mass ratio and intelligence. I believe the only animals with a brain-size/body-mass ratio higher than humans are dolphins and perhaps some whales. That only means so much but if you look at animals that have a very low relative brain-size/body-mass ratio they are invariably what you would consider very stupid animals. It's just a rough correlation. I doubt it has much if any significance on an intra-species basis.

It also raises the question if any studies similar to phrenology have been done on the human, er, XXXX , and if so, what the purported conclusions are. Perhaps a more knowledgeable poster could be kind enough to enlighten us on this matter.

elwoodblues
07-07-2004, 10:58 AM
If dolphins were so smart, they would have grown fingers and opposable thumbs and would be sitting in front of a computer playing internet poker all day.

Toro
07-07-2004, 11:20 AM
I haven't taken an IQ test since Junior High School when it was 135 so I was curious. I went on-line and found a "free" IQ Test and took it. The test took me 10 minutes to take and there were 35 questions, most pretty simple.

They promptly emailed the result, 144 with an offer to purchase a Certificate of Merit for $9.95. What a scam. I'm betting everyone scores in the genius range so they can sell those certificates.

Edit: P.S. I ordered two, one for the office and one for home.

daryn
07-07-2004, 11:49 AM
i don't know my IQ, but somehow i know it is at least 20 points higher than bruiser's.

nolanfan34
07-07-2004, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But my score was "with 84% confidence between the little Vietnamese dude from Goonies and that wacky robot from Short Circuit."

I thought that was a pretty good score at the time... my buddy got "roughly the same as David Hasselhoff from Knight Rider."

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny stuff. That's all you had to write on your MIT application right? I'm as smart as Johnny #5?

I'm in El Diablo's camp, I took an IQ test that said I was at genius level. I was 6 or 7 at the time. I'm sure right after the test I went home to my regular schedule of burying my brother's G.I. Joe figures in the backyard, and recreating the "Han Solo gets frozen in carbonite" scene from The Empire Strikes Back with my Star Wars figures.

I think they may measure your intelligence regarding performing the specific tasks asked in the test, but I can't say I think it's an overall indication of how smart someone is.

IrishHand
07-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Recreating any Star Wars scene with those sweet action figures they sold in the 80s is a definite sign of genius. While Empire is arguably the worst of the three real Star Wars movies, it definitely produced the best action figures.

FWIW, I don't think that IQ tests have much to do with "Intelligence", at least how I define it. To me, IQ tests measure whether you think a certain way. I've met people who's intelligence dwarfed mine, but I'm reasonably confident that my IQ scores are higher. *shrug* Some people just process things differently.

Clarkmeister
07-07-2004, 01:24 PM
"While Empire is arguably the worst of the three real Star Wars movies"

I've known you a long time now and this is definitely the dumbest thing you have ever said. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

astroglide
07-07-2004, 02:01 PM
While Empire is arguably the worst of the three real Star Wars movies

wow.

Boris
07-07-2004, 02:03 PM
good catch. deduct 3 points from IrishHand's score.

daryn
07-07-2004, 02:15 PM
i know 2 people have already said what amounts to "wow", but i don't think that's enough.

empire is clearly the best movie. you really have to question the intelligence of someone who says different /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MaxPower
07-07-2004, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good plan. They had one on TV a while back and I scored slightly lower than I did when I was kid. My excuse is that I was playing 3 tables on Party Poker while taking the test.

turnipmonster
07-07-2004, 03:21 PM
I like to think that my lack of brain power is made up by my dashing good looks and rapier like wit. I took a test when I was a kid but my mom wouldn't tell me the results, so I always assumed I was about as smart as gary coleman's character in "the kid with the 200 IQ". great movie!

--turnipmonster

ClimbRock512
07-07-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm with the rest. I took one when I was going into 4th grade. My mom never told me the results until years later, guess she didn't want it to go to my head.

I think average is 110 and genius is 160. 80(or maybe it was 70) and below is the start of mental retardation.

I know I was in the 150s. Either 154 or 156.

I don't know how acurate the tests are, and can you say that 159 is not a genius, but 160 is? I do know mine was given by an actual doctor of physcology. It was a lot of puzzle type things, patterns, some vocabulary, timed brain-teaser type things. I was like a kid in a candy store. I used to have my mom buy be books like the types of things this guy was asking. What he thought was a test, I would have given up recess to do...

The test was exactly the type I would have expected to do well it. I haven't taken one since then, and don't plan to. The one I took was several hours long, and was adjusted according to my age. Who knows....

nolanfan34
07-07-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was like a kid in a candy store. I used to have my mom buy be books like the types of things this guy was asking. What he thought was a test, I would have given up recess to do...

The test was exactly the type I would have expected to do well it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dork. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You better go change your pants now, because I'm guessing you probably wet yourself from getting so excited just talking about this.

Ulysses
07-07-2004, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how acurate the tests are, and can you say that 159 is not a genius, but 160 is?

[/ QUOTE ]

So asks guy w/ score in 150s. Olé!!!!!!!!!!!

JTrout
07-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Through some exhaustive measures of internet surfing, I have found the IQ scores of several 2+2 posters. I can find some others if you want, but for now, I will post what I have below (scroll to bottom).

craig r
07-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Edit: P.S. I ordered two, one for the office and one for home.

i don't know why i thought this was so funny. Maybe with people with low a low i.q. find simple humor funny.

craig

CCass
07-08-2004, 10:53 AM

nothumb
07-08-2004, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think average is 110 and genius is 160.

[/ QUOTE ]

The test was set up so average allegedly equals 100.

Clearly being a borderline genius doesn't force one to do a lot of research.

All I know is, after taking it twice I went from being smart to being a genius. If I take it again, I might develop telekenesis.

Everyone knows the SATs are the only objective measure of a person's intellect.

NT

Ray Zee
07-08-2004, 02:50 PM
i am happy with mine, as i can golf under it and bowl over it. that is all i care about. i still can remember where i put my glasses though.

ArchAngel71857
07-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Whatever happened to MENSAIQ178?

-AA

Jimbo
07-09-2004, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've met people who's intelligence dwarfed mine...

[/ QUOTE ]

Something tells me that has happened to you quite often. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

For what it is worth I graduated college with a 4.0 average. Although I attribute that accomplishment primarily to attending college less than full time (however with a heavy load during summer sessions) and at a much older age than the typical student. Not to mention that when you are paying for something yourself one tends to take the project much more seriously.

Jimbo

daryn
07-09-2004, 01:29 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
For what it is worth I graduated college with a 4.0 average.

[/ QUOTE ]

how dare you post this without naming your major! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

seriously though, you'd have to respect a 2.0 average from something like a aeronautics/astronautics major more than a 4.0 average from say, a communications major, no?

JTrout
07-09-2004, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how dare you post this without naming your major!

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess Interior Design or cosmetology. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

nolanfan34
07-09-2004, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
seriously though, you'd have to respect a 2.0 average from something like a aeronautics/astronautics major more than a 4.0 average from say, a communications major, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch. I was a communications major, and had a 3.62 final GPA. Guess that confirms I'm an idiot.

But, I do have a wonderful looking diploma to show for it.

craig r
07-09-2004, 04:18 AM
good one nothumb.

Phat Mack
07-09-2004, 06:05 AM
But my score was "with 84% confidence between the little Vietnamese dude from Goonies and that wacky robot from Short Circuit."

My guidance counsellor made me take an IQ test in high school.

Counsellor: Mack, what are we going to do with you: You're too stupid to work and and too lazy to steal.

Mack: Shut up and deal.