PDA

View Full Version : Norman Chad

J_V
07-06-2004, 09:31 PM
If I was James Vogl, I'd be pissed w/ Norman Chad. His KJ check was fine. The kid's a poker professional and he has to listen to Chad give strategy advice? And what's w/ the sweatsuit crack?

Abagadro
07-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Guy must shop at the same store as Ali G.

tech
07-06-2004, 09:37 PM
I thought Chad was riding Vogl pretty hard too. Strangely enough, Chad didn't really say anything on Vogl's "I thought they were sooooooooooooted." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

gibs
07-06-2004, 09:38 PM
I agree that Chad is going a little too far with the ripping on Vogl thing, but from what I've seen the kid could use some advise on how to play. And you don't know that he's a poker professional. He's a backgammon player who just recently started playing poker. I would doubt that he makes much of his income from playing poker just by watching him play, and he himself even said that he wasn't very good. But didn't he win two events at the '04 WSOP, or was it a different kid that won two?

golgo13sf
07-06-2004, 09:44 PM
I'm of the opinion that Norman Chad could be considered legally retarded.

TimTimSalabim
07-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Same bad coverage as last year (sigh). Same two idiots making stupid remarks, same lack of announcing bet/raise/pot sizes.

Dynasty
07-06-2004, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Same bad coverage as last year (sigh). Same two idiots making stupid remarks, same lack of announcing bet/raise/pot sizes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The missing bet/raise/pot sizes don't bother me. But, there simply cramming too much poker into too little time.

The WPT is rushed showing six players competing over two hours. These WSOP shows are going to have nine players competing over just one hour. It's been mostly all-in hands so far.

Dynasty
07-06-2004, 09:53 PM
But, I do like the "rabbit cam".

TwoNiner
07-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I didn't get the sweatsuit crack, or crucifying the kid for giving a free card heads up.

tech
07-06-2004, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's been mostly all-in hands so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering for a while if we were actually going to see any postflop play.

La Brujita
07-06-2004, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If I was James Vogl, I'd be pissed w/ Norman Chad. His KJ check was fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was watching and thinking the exact same thing on this hand. I don't know if that is good for me that I am thinking your way or bad for you that you are thinking like me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

It was heads up not a five way pot for god sakes.

TimTimSalabim
07-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Watching more of it, I see that they *sometimes* announce the bet and pot sizes, but the coverage is nowhere near as professional as the WPT. I also haven't heard much mention of position, either, which is always made clear by Mike Sexton. Watching this, I feel like a railbird craning my neck and getting occasional glimpses of what's going on.

shadow29
07-06-2004, 11:21 PM
What's with Norman Chad? Last year they announced him as 'professional poker player and commentator..'?

Is he? Or is he just a hack?

Oblivious
07-06-2004, 11:50 PM
from some of the idiot comments he makes, i cant imagine him makeing money in any game tougher than party .5/1

Rushmore
07-07-2004, 12:39 AM
When I lived in D.C. way back when, Norman Chad handicapped the NFL schedule every week for The Post.

There were weekss his picks were so bad that you just couldn't believe it.

But, to be honest, his humor was actually effective in print. There were always a few legitimate laughs in his column.

Perhaps he has been abducted by space aliens, and replaced by someone else, because the guy doing the WSOP on ESPN is the antidote for laughter.

Navers
07-07-2004, 01:08 AM
The rabbit cam is entertaining but it could start to make people think that the players' decisions to fold were right or wrong solely based on what the river card was instead of piecing together incomplete information. Still though, it's kind of cool.

J_V
07-07-2004, 01:31 AM
He's being modest when he's said he wasn't good. He is very good.

mr. oats
07-07-2004, 01:58 AM
He is an idiot. I don't understand the attacks pointed at VVP when Chad is sooo much worse IMO. At least Vince makes me laugh once in awhile. Chad is personally insulting to the players and provides inane and/or mistaken analysis. How many times do we have to hear, "I guess he must have thought so-and-so had Aces or Kings. That's all I can think of" when someone folds with any piece of the flop.

-oats

07-07-2004, 02:01 AM
im just sick of hearing "it's pretty much of a coin flip."

Army Eye
07-07-2004, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He is an idiot. I don't understand the attacks pointed at VVP when Chad is sooo much worse IMO. At least Vince makes me laugh once in awhile. Chad is personally insulting to the players and provides inane and/or mistaken analysis. How many times do we have to hear, "I guess he must have thought so-and-so had Aces or Kings. That's all I can think of" when someone folds with any piece of the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

And often being completely baffled when a player checks with a big hand.. setting a trap..

Chad is clueless!

Peter_rus
07-07-2004, 03:47 AM
I got so tired of the "young" jokes. Yes, he's younger than everyone else at the table. But it's not as if he's in 5th grade trying to play poker. The guy is 24. And he doesn't even really look that young. Being someone who looks young for my age myself, this is a sensitive subject for me. If I were James Vogl tonight, I'd be pissed watching myself on tv and rather than hearing about how great I'm playing, I have to hear this numbskull make cracks about my age and my sweatshirt.

J_V
07-07-2004, 04:13 AM
If I were Vogel, I'd literally clocking him next time I saw him wondering the WSOP. Pretty immature, I know.

uw_madtown
07-07-2004, 05:42 AM
It's a sad state of affairs when the best poker commentator on television is on Celebrity Poker Showdown (Phil Gordon).

- uwmadtown

MicroBob
07-07-2004, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The rabbit cam is entertaining but it could start to make people think that the players' decisions to fold were right or wrong solely based on what the river card was instead of piecing together incomplete information

[/ QUOTE ]

this is EXACTLY what i think it will do. and i'm all for it.

i am hoping this effects the fish-pool and their logic in my tourney play....
instead of calls being based on one's chances of winning and where they likely stand in the hand we may get even more calls based on 'well, if the next card is a 9 then i made the right call'.

why on earth would i want the announcers actually giving good advice to the masses??

i didn't see the episodes last night (yet...i'm sure there will be a zillion re-runs)...but i must say i am a bit surprised at the massive panning of chad's commentary. while i disagreed with much of his analysis of the 2003 WSOP coverage, i thought he did a decent job explaining the game and the personalities to a bunch of people who mostly had no clue what was happening.

however, everytime i see a TKK flop and he gets on the case of the guy with T9 in a 4-way pot because 'hes ahead in the hand' i kind of cringe.
hello Chad?? he doesn't see the other players' hole-cards...all he sees are K's on the board and that other guy's bet with QJ ("ONLY a straight draw") means he also might have trips OR a T with a better kicker from the perspective of the T9 guy.
he just doesn't do a lot of advanced thinking or board-reading of what a bet from 'the other player' might be representing to the guy who may have the best hand, albeit a weak one.

sexton has been doing a much better job of late of explaining things like
'with 3 clubs on the board, he has to be afraid of a flush....but he doesn't know that the other guy is just on a straight draw...and that bet from the straight-draw can very easily look like he just hit his flush.'

i still think the WPT announcing leaves a lot to be desired. but sexton is more frequently talking about what a player is 'representing' when he bets and how a scary board combined with a bet from a guy who is only on a draw can provoke a player with middle-pair to fold the best hand.

he is also talking more in terms of aggressive bets to take pots, etc etc and is providing more accurate and insightful analysis.

Michael Davis
07-07-2004, 08:31 AM
You aren't James Vogel?

James Vogel probably wouldn't have heard of Meijers.

-Michael

turnipmonster
07-07-2004, 11:43 AM
I was sort of wondering if you were vogl.

--turnipmonster

Laomedon
07-07-2004, 12:07 PM
So did anyone else like Vogl's quote at the very end, "I'm not going to hold the money up. I'm British you know, we're kind of reserved..."

I thought it was hilarious.

cab4656
07-07-2004, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a sad state of affairs when the best poker commentator on television is on Celebrity Poker Showdown (Phil Gordon).

- uwmadtown

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Howard Lederer's commentary on Fox Sports is very, very good. I think it's by far the best on TV.

uw_madtown
07-07-2004, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- uwmadtown

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Howard Lederer's commentary on Fox Sports is very, very good. I think it's by far the best on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I'm sure it is. Haven't gotten a chance to see that yet, but I'd imagine Lederer would be able to do far, far better than most of the commentary and would be better than Gordon.

- uwmadtown

toots
07-07-2004, 02:04 PM
I found Chad to be moderately annoying, but unlike VVP, I haven't listened to Chad repeating the same ten stupid lines over and over for a season. Don't know if Chad will, but until then, it's a refreshing change of dialog.

And it isn't Jesse May.

Beavis68
07-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Chad should start his own reality series - "Queer Eye for the Poker Guy"

Hell, why don't they just bring Joan and Melissa Rivers on as announcers?

deowal
07-07-2004, 02:45 PM
totally agreed

I have to watch the 2003 wsop on mute, I can't stand his whiny steve-urkel voice. He tries too hard to be funny too

gibs
07-07-2004, 06:16 PM
You say he's very could because you actually played with him, or he's very good just because he won the tournament? In my opinion I don't think he played very well at all, just got great cards. But then again I only got to see the few crappy all in hands that espn showed. But there was one time when he called an all in with JTo. I realize he had a huge lead, but trying to knock someone out with JT? Then when the guy went all in with queens, he couldn't wait to call with AKs. He asked if it was his turn and then called immediately. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying it was a bad call or anything, but when a guy goes all in for that many chips (at least it looked to me like he had a fairly large stack, nothing close to Vogl's though), don't you think he would want to ponder the decision first? It's not like he had the aces. Again, not saying this was a bad call, just saying he called really quick like there was no way the other guy could possibly have a better hand.

TimTimSalabim
07-07-2004, 07:00 PM
A lot of the skill in tournaments is in making it to the final table with a big stack of chips, which we hardly ever get to see. That's why I'd like to see more multi-day coverage, like we'll see in the main WSOP event or in Championship at the Plaza. It would be nice if WPT would do this, I think it would help their show from getting a bit stale too.

J_V
07-07-2004, 11:42 PM
I resemble him a little and would act similarly without being AS understated.

Maybe that's why I take such offense.

cthomer5000
07-07-2004, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So did anyone else like Vogl's quote at the very end, "I'm not going to hold the money up. I'm British you know, we're kind of reserved..."

I thought it was hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it was total bullshit when combined with his interview quote "I couldn't care less about the glory, I just want the money."

I thought Vogl came off as a bit condescending in the table talk we did hear. I do admit though that Chad was just ripping into him, although I thought the "he must be getting ready to go on his paper route" comment quite amusing.

MicroBob
07-08-2004, 12:46 AM
i think the other guy who finished 2nd for $200k said "well...it doesn't suck."

i'm not positive on this as i had just turned the TV on.

cero_z
07-08-2004, 02:57 AM
Hi LB,
Not really the point of this thread, but his check was bad. Not because he shouldn't set a trap heads up, but because Chiu's stack was getting desparately small, and he might've called or raised a bet on the flop.

coolhandtom
07-09-2004, 05:43 PM
the dayglow neon coat was gaudy, as were his shoes when they cut to a shot under the table.. the kid was arrogant/full of bs there at the end.. and he was a self proclaimed rookie..

i think norman chad is funny as hell, except when he does overly relate everything to his marriage/wife.. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Para13
07-09-2004, 11:27 PM
The guy is a little, pudgy, balding, limp-wrister with an ear ring. I like him about as much as I like Vince Van Patten. He's only slightly less tacky and slightly more intelligent with his comments. To hear him make comments about world class players is a joke.

Derek

housenuts
07-10-2004, 04:03 PM
norman chad is a complete idiot for trashing vogl. i just watched that first tourney today. i also watched the 7 card stud tourney with chad brown. that guy was also an idiot. i couldn't stand his face and his stupid smirk. although menh the master was being annoying i didn't like the way chad brown handled it.

something about chad's i guess. but that norman chad guy, i'm about to write an email to espn. he's supposed to be a professional sportscaster and he's laying into a guy he doesn't even know. i'm 22 and if i made it that far in the tourney and thought i had some skill i'd take it up with norman chad after i saw the tape. i'd also laugh at him cause i just won $400,000 and he's living off his sportscaster salary and he looks like a complete goof with that mustache.

bdk3clash
07-10-2004, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Guy must shop at the same store as Ali G.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2003/02/03/arts/03ali.jpg

"Riggedy-re-rizzle."

3rdEye
07-10-2004, 09:16 PM
I don't think they ever labeled him a "professional poker player." I think the moniker was "tournament player Norman Chad."

mtdurham
07-11-2004, 07:48 AM
A) Norm Chad's wife is hot.

B) His NFL gambling segment on sportcenter every Monday is the highlight of the week.

fsuplayer
07-11-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A) Norm Chad's wife is hot.

B) His NFL gambling segment on sportcenter every Monday is the highlight of the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not positive, but i think that's Nick Bakai that you are talking about.

fsuplayer