PDA

View Full Version : Strategy with missing flops

01-31-2002, 01:34 PM
Hey all...one of the flaws in my game goes something like this.

I raise with, say, A,Qs, K,Q,s etc.. 1 or two callers. The flop comes and misses me by a mile.

How do you guys usually play this when you're in late position? Early position?

I'll give you an example.

You hold A,Qs in mid position. 1 bet in front of you, you raise, you get 1 cold caller behind you, and original bettor calls.

Flops comes J,9,6 rainbow. Original checks. In this situation, I would bet. But, I find myself, even if I was first to act in early position, I would still bet and try to take the pot there. Is this strong strategy?

Should you check if you're in late position to get the "free card"? Check in mid position like the above situation?

Thanks for the input.

Bill

01-31-2002, 08:54 PM
A lot would depend on how the guy who called 2 bets cold plays.

Most decent players have got you beat on that flop. I mean, I don't know too many solid players who call 2 bets cold with less than A/Q, especially since yours was not a clear steal-raise.

If it had been, well, anything goes. But in this scenario, sure looks like he's got a hand if he's any kind of player.

02-01-2002, 02:05 AM
Hi...If I new your game I would probably put you on exactly that kind of hand but would be worried

about JA or High Pair...If I had any pair I would

reraise you on the flop and fold on a reraise.

If you checked on the turn I would bet.

However, this is Heads up strategy and is dependent on the original bettor folding!

02-01-2002, 08:55 AM
This situation is so opponent dependent, I don't think any formulaic advice is going to help you here. The best I can say is watch your opponents carefully whenever it's shorthanded on the flop, and see who plays properly aggressive, and who doesn't adjust. Against people who continue to play straightforwardly, I would usually bet until they show strength, and then be prepared to fold. Against players who are capable of running a bluff or pushing a draw through the turn, I will be more assertive (sometimes raising and reraising), but I'm still ready to give it up a lot of the time, especially if I am out of position. Against good opponents, the most important thing is to vary your play in this spot, so that you can't be easily put on overcards and become marked to be run over.

Playing overcards shorthanded when you miss the flop is a tricky proposition at best, and I think average players probably lose a great deal of money in this situation, by either sticking aroung too long or giving up right away. It's important to strike a balance somewhere in between, which you will probably develop a feel for only with a great deal of experience (this is a situation I still sometimes have trouble with myself).

In the example you give, I agree with Rushmore that the cold caller is cause for great concern if he has reasonable preflop standards. On the other hand, the fact that he didn't reraise preflop is an indicator that he may not be a good player right off the bat (in his situation, he should probably reraise almost any hand worth a play, especially if he was the cutoff or button). I would probably bet the flop, intending to put no more money in the pot without improving (assuming neither opponent is overly aggressive).

02-01-2002, 11:38 AM
I like what Coilean posted, but I do think that the texture of the flop is a factor as are the # and quality of players in the hand.

If the flop misses you, but contains a J or T - I'd find it VERY hard to bet against either solid players (They've got you beat since they cold called 2) or very loose players (They call raises w/ QJ, QT, JT, AT, KQ, KT, KJ etc). If the flop were 9,6,2 or something like that, I'd be willing to bet against a loose cold-caller, but hesitant to be against a solid cold-caller, as the loosey could easily have one of the above hands, while the solid probably has you beat and will make you pay for it. Basically, I like no solid players behind me and the flop to be as low as possible. If I had a loose player behind me and the flop were 732 or something similar, I'd look to be this flop a majority of the time.

If there are more than 2 other players in the pot, I don't think there's much chance I have the best hand nor can I win the pot w/ the bet, so I just take the free card.