PDA

View Full Version : I raised preflop but it got capped, should I fold?

01-31-2002, 06:16 AM
I open raised 3 off the button with 89s in a 20-40 game, a moderately tight player threebet me in the next position and then the cutoff who seemed fairly conservative with his raising preflop capped it, both blinds folded, should I call the two bets now?

thanks,

Shawn

01-31-2002, 10:37 AM
You absolutely call in this spot. If I were you I would call and try to make some off hand remark such as, "an ace always comes when I have this hand anyway", it is very likely that they will put you on kings. Now you have a very well disguised hand that will likely get paid off if it gets there and making the comment could very likely get you a 4 card flop. I would not try to bluff with expectations of them folding to my "kings" unless I have a strong read on them and think that they are capable of folding after they've invested $80 into the pot.

01-31-2002, 04:20 PM
By my count, you are getting 11.5:2 (nearly 6:1) to call. You know they both have bigger cards, and I like a call here a lot more than I do with something like KQs. I don't like the complete lack of position. If it were me, and I was up against one blind and one player with position on me, I'd call without thinking about it. Here, if I'm against solid players I may muck, but unlikely.

Worm

01-31-2002, 04:29 PM
You open raised with a speculative hand from mid position and the worst possible outcome has occurred pre flop. You were reraised by a “moderately tight player” and he was subsequently reraised by a “conservative” player while the blinds fold ruining your implied odds on a draw.

However, there will be 11.5 small bets in the pot (assuming the first reraiser calls – a near certainty) and it costs you 2 bets. You will hit enough flops (either draw, two pair or trips) to justify putting in two more bets and you don’t have to worry about domination. You probably have to pay to draw but you will get paid off if you hit. The good thing is that the action should slow down on the turn, which is where draws really get pounded. So I think it is a close call.

Regards,

Rick

01-31-2002, 04:41 PM
Fold.

I played two hands yesterday where I raised first in against tight blinds from the cut-off with marginal hands (Q-Ts and J-Ts), the button re-raised, and one of the blinds capped. I folded both hands (getting a good laugh out of the capper on one hand when I asked "one back?").

In my game, the action doesn't usually slow down on the turn, it picks up, so drawing hands go down in value when something like this happens.

In your case, you'd be out of position against both opponents with crap. Fold.

02-01-2002, 12:38 AM
If you said that, I would be 99% certain that you did not hold KK.