PDA

View Full Version : Downloaded Zerorake, everyone was playing "Guts"

LondonBroil
07-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Downloaded the software last night and watched a 5-6 player guts game (noticed Segor was playing it). Seems like there is no skill involved at all in this game. Are there any strategies at all?

Alobar
07-06-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Downloaded the software last night and watched a 5-6 player guts game (noticed Segor was playing it). Seems like there is no skill involved at all in this game. Are there any strategies at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. Its just no one ever plays the game so no one has bothered to write a book about it yet /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Segor
07-06-2004, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. Its just no one ever plays the game so no one has bothered to write a book about it yet /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude!!! I lost $250 playing that medieval game!!! I am not sure about the amount of skill and tactics involved, so I am leaning towards NONE, since the amount of incomplete information is through the roof! I had Ace high flush, I am in, somebody shows me a str8. Next thing I know the computer takes $40 from me and puts in the pot and deals me 25Q, I am out, I see the only guy who stays in has a pair of ducks. He takes it down... You can't see whos staying, it's not a possitional game... I am not sure about tactics... Maybe something about observing other player's tightness and the number of players who posted ante, but even then, how do you fold Ace high flush once you get it???

eggzz
07-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Are you saying you lost with an Ace high flush? How?

Or did you lose money after winning that hand?

I assume this was five card guts? I like two card guts better.

I might have to check out this site. Guts takes guts to play, I can see a high variance coming from that table!

LondonBroil
07-06-2004, 10:19 PM
In their version of 3-card guts, a straight beats a flush, which in turn gets beat by 3 of a kind, then a straight flush.

Segor
07-07-2004, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying you lost with an Ace high flush? How?

Or did you lose money after winning that hand?

I assume this was five card guts? I like two card guts better.

I might have to check out this site. Guts takes guts to play, I can see a high variance coming from that table!

[/ QUOTE ]

3 card. Str8 beats flush.

MrBlini
07-07-2004, 02:56 AM
In the absence of rake, this game is surely winnable for a knowledgeable professional player. (Raked, I very much doubt that it is.) However, I shouldn't have played tonight. Now I'll have to grind out a profit for a while at games I can win to get my bankroll back to where it was.

The game can be simplified to a [0,1] game in which there is only one decision: play or fold. Perfect game theory should be relatively simple for each situation (number of players and relative pot size).

The real key is to play marginal situations correctly and to adjust to what you believe your opponents are doing, loosening or tightening playing requirements accordingly. Here is where it is an art form.

Another 2+2'er at my table tonight was cleaning up. I think he was doing a fair amount of advertising in small pots, then clobbering people with marginally better hands (not to mention the stone cold nuts) when the pot was larger. I tried to do this as well, but I kept getting clobbered with bigger monsters.

You'd never know if you're playing well or not without working out the strategy because the variance in this game is huge.

MicroBob
07-07-2004, 05:30 AM
someone want to explain the rules of this game please??

MrBlini
07-07-2004, 01:36 PM
All players ante, and each is dealt a three-card poker hand. Each makes a single decision whether to play ("in") or fold ("out") without knowledge of the others' decisions.

Rank of hands:
Straight flush
Three of a kind
Straight
Flush
Pair
High card

All hands are revealed. If only a single player stays in, that player receives the entire pot. Play starts over with all players posting an ante. If two or more players stay in, the player with the high hand receives the entire pot, any player with the lower hand matches the pot, and all players not matching the pot are required to ante again. A maximum match amount is set at, say, 25 times the ante size.

Because there are no cards to come, each hand can be mapped to an exact value in the interval [0,1], with 532 = 0 and AKQs = 1.

MrBlini
07-07-2004, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude!!! I lost $250 playing that medieval game!!!

[/ QUOTE ]You made me laugh, which was almost worth what I lost playing that medieval game. I lost a bit more, actually. And there you were, telling us not to do it. Embarrassing.

Whoever NewPlayer is, he cleaned up. I'm not playing him again. The other player we had 3-handed seemed to be a fish, but he kept beating me with monsters when I played marginal hands. @#$@#!

[ QUOTE ]
...how do you fold Ace high flush once you get it???

[/ QUOTE ]Impossible. It has a high enough value that you always want to play it, at least 6-handed and less.