PDA

View Full Version : 15-30 Taj Hand...Complete Misplay?

01-30-2002, 12:29 PM
I'm sitting 15-30 at the Taj. UTG limps (plays well postflop, but is loose preflop), Kid with TOWERS of chips raises as usual (he is running over the game, but is pretty loose, and somewhat nuts). All fold to me on the button and I look down to see a pair of 10's. I make it $45 to go. Blinds fold, UTG calls two cold. Kid calls. 3 players, $160 pot. Flop come 8-9-3, two diamonds. UTG checks, Kid bets. I raise. UTG coldcalls. Kid makes it $45. I cap it. Both call. $340 pot, still three players. Turn is a 10 (3rd diamond). Kid bets, I raise. UTG looks pained, but still coldcalls the $60. The kid folds with disgust. Two players, $490 pot. River is a blank, I bet and get called. Results to follow...Was I too aggressive?

Jeff

01-30-2002, 12:32 PM
I turn over my set of 10's. UTG turns over JQ for the turned straight and I lose. He commented that he was afraid I had the AK of diamonds but I still would have put in a raise in his spot at some point (would I be wrong?). The kid claimed to have 98s so my raise on the turn got out a better hand (I believe him). Who knew the 10 was my death card? Maybe I should have. I figure I lost an extra bet on this hand (though in hindsight, if I check the river, its going in anyway). Comments appreciated.

Jeff

01-30-2002, 12:52 PM
No words of wisdom needed--Beware top set on a coordinated board with two callers. Especially when by your own analysis the two callers were pretty loose.

It's a "can't lay it down/can't win" situation too often, so I tend to be real careful who I'm against and very sure of my reads. I am normally very aggressive, but that particular set-up always makes me pull my horns in.

01-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Beware of players who "look pained" but call 2 cold on the turn. That let me know his hand right there.

Did you play the hand too aggressively? No.

01-30-2002, 03:18 PM
I havn't looked at the results but I think you played it fine given you description of the players.

01-30-2002, 03:20 PM
The Kid was lying when he told you he had 98s.

01-30-2002, 04:14 PM
check behind on the river, youre only going to get called by a better hand most of the time.

the flop 4 bet is a little aggressive for my tastes. i would just call the 3 bet on the flop. but this is player dependent so maybe you had your reasons.

now to see the results.