PDA

View Full Version : First Post - Question on Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players

DukeLeto
07-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Hi everyone,
I am new to this sight as of today /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I have been a postive EV gambler for a few years playing primarily playing BlackJack and occassionaly Video Poker. The availability of good games of those types is becoming quite rare, and over time I have found them to be somewhat boring.

Therefore I have looked to Hold em to break the monotony. I have read Hold em section in Phil Helmuth's poker book and played several thousand hands with Wilson Software's Turbo Texas Hold Em watching the advise of its Advisor.

I have just purchased Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players based on high recommendations from BJ21.com forum friends. The book refers to a Hole 'em Poker book by Salansky which I havent seen anywhere before and is apparently a prerequiste to the advanced book.

My question given the little experience I've mentioned above, is it necessary/profitable for me to find the first book and study it, or should I go ahead and make a serious study of the advanced book?

Also, any general newbie help will be appreciated....ie...who gives meaningful newbie posts to study in the history files, good internet sites to play on, etc.

Thank You,
DukeLeto

MarkD
07-06-2004, 12:43 PM
The book you are looking for is called:
"Hold'em Poker" by David Sklansky. You should find it simple enough by clicking on the authors link on the left hand side of this page, selecting david sklansky and taking a look.

I have never seen the book, but suggest you actually peruse a low limt book before HPFAP depending on your level of skill and familiarity with concepts. Now, Winning Low Limit Holdem by Lee Jones is generally the recommended text for a first book on holdem. It has mistakes (I haven't read it in a long time) but it is still generally considered the best first book.

Ed Miller is producing a 2+2 book geared towards small limit games but I really have a feeling it won't be a good first book, but rather a GREAT second book. I haven't read it so this is just a guess, but I get the feeling from his posts about the book that it is not an introductory text and hence I have a feeling many beginner's will not understand some of the advanced plays in it.

I also get the feeling title is poor and that it is more of a loose games book then it is a small stakes book. After playing at Belagio this past weekend I would consider the 15-30 there to be loose.

Navers
07-06-2004, 05:59 PM
That was the first book I read and when I was done with it I thought it was a easy to read and concise book; well it is an easy read and a concise book, because there's barely any useful information in there! The theme of the book is to fold when you don't get at least a pair or a big draw on the flop and to fold all but super-premium hands before the flop. There's one simple way to beat people that adhere to the advice in this book: raise. This book gives weak-tight advice and tells you to fold so often that raises will work very often against people who read this book and adhere to its advice. You're going to have to relearn everything that the book teaches you when you want to improve your game. I think that Hold'em Poker book by Sklansky is good, but you can find the advice listed in that book on the internet and at twoplustwo.com, so it's really your preference.

Greg J
07-06-2004, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The theme of the book is to fold when you don't get at least a pair or a big draw on the flop and to fold all but super-premium hands before the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
no no no.

wrong wrong wrong.

I think if anything Jones' advise preflop is too loose. (Eg raising A9o preflop in late position) And he gives a lot of sound advise after the flop, though I think there is a consensus that his advise is "weak tight" at points, but even Ed Miller has said on these boards that it was a good book, but one with serious errors.

Like any other book you should read it with a critical eye. The more I have read and learned about poker the more I am able to see what i right and wrong in Jones' book.

As for having to relearn things... we are not computers that are programmed by the books we read. At least I'm not. That is why I reread HEPFAP and TOP, and post hands. The advise there is very good, and worth adhereing too. The more I play the more i learn how to apply the info.

As for Jones' book, it is certainly controversial, but there is some good stuff in there. As far as teaching you bad habits, it will only if you let it. Part of playing poker is constantly reevaluating your game -- I'm a beginner still but i know that.

Jones' book is not, IMO, nearly as good as HEPFAP, but the best teacher is experience.