PDA

View Full Version : Lay top pair down here?

skierdude1000
07-06-2004, 01:18 AM
.25/.5 Pacific Full Table with about $6 avg pot

I have 9Tc in late position, i call 5 limpers and dealer button calls

flop is 9d 6s 5s, everyone checks to me, i bet, D raises, next guy 3 bets it, next guy calls, others all fold, i think about it and fold, D calls

Next card: 4s Betting continues (2 Bets each)

River: 9h (D checks, next guy checks, third bets, D folds, 2nd guy calls)

Showdown: Guy who called the 3rd bet before me on the flop wins with Q4o (He was the guy who bet the river)

Did I lay this down ok?

I felt i was behind to either a higher kicker, a set, or a strait

Navers
07-06-2004, 01:48 AM
you can't be scared of people three-betting and calling three-bets with nothing. You have to at least call the flop. Folding isn't a good option because there are so many chasers in the pot. I guess it is harder to know exactly where you stand because of people raising and calling with random hands like the Q4o's, but you can't assume you have the worst of it. Don't be scared of the draws.

MarkD
07-06-2004, 02:14 AM
I've never played this game but generally that check 3 bet means a solid hand here. Also, in general someone who cold calls 3 on the flop in this type of betting sequence has a set or a very good draw (in their mind). The action on the turn can clarify this. Having said that I don't think folding the flop is correct here.

This hand really illustrates a key point though. Hero should have had some inkling that the 3 bet coldcaller would call that 3 bet with Q4o on the flop and should have realized the call was more often than not dead money. He should also realize that the buton raise on the flop in this betting sequence does not generally mean a big hand. A better nine maybe, but I don't think he has a monster. The check raise 3-better will often have a very good hand but you need to consider what your chances are and the pot odds. On this flop though the check 3-bet could very well be a flush draw as that would be a very decent play to make and one I would often make in these games and one that most of you should also be making in this spot (for value).

The results of this hand don't matter much but the thinking behind the play does. Most of the time I would consider folding this on the flop, but I also would have raised it pre-flop which changes the rest of the hand. If the flop 3-better would limp with TT-AA I would consider calling more often, but would actually consider re-raising rather than calling in this case sicne it's a 4 bet cap. If he's capable of playing the flush this way I would also not fold it and would consider 4 betting to potentially get the button to fold but this 4 bet is kind of player dependent.

What did everyone have in the hand other than Q4o guy?

skierdude1000
07-06-2004, 02:23 AM
the D guy mucked

MarkD
07-06-2004, 02:27 AM
Yah, you must have somethign confused in your post as the Dealer is acting first on the river. Minor point but should be noted.

What did the caller have on the river that he can't beat two 4's? He is your flop 3-better as I read it and it appears likely he had A7s or A8s or something similar.

skierdude1000
07-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Then maybe i missed his cards, because the Q4o won, so I couldn't even imagine what the other guy had on the river