PDA

View Full Version : HULA II UPDATE

gonores
07-05-2004, 10:04 PM
I’ve been dragging my feet on HULA II…I wanted to start laying groundwork this weekend. I am making this post both to let you folks know why I’ve been dragging my feet on it and to motivate myself to get my ass moving by making it a matter of public record that I intend to get it up and going.

Why Doug hasn’t started yet:

Fact: Only two people have got on my case concerning HULA II
Fact: I am riding out a hot streak at the tables and playing rather well in the process
Fact: My laptop crashed, and since I have made it a policy to handle administration of HULA issues at a local coffee concern, heavy work cannot take place at the moment.
Fact: Since moving to Madison, I cannot stop pouring alcohol into various orifices of my body.
Fact: Me no figure out how to get on to IIRC and the 2+2 chatroom…methinks that’d be a cool thing to use to tweak things. Eventually, one of my more technologically-savvy roommates will help me out there.
Fact: I took a demoralizing HU loss to a 10/20 archrival a few weeks ago and still am a little gunshy.

For those you out of the loop on what HULA is, see my profile for links. For the sake of lightening my workload, please do not ask questions about signing up for HULA II at the moment unless you participated in HULA I. New applicants will be handled in the future.

Why you should want to join: 25% of my income this year has come from the 4% of my time that I dedicated to various HU matches, mostly on Party Poker. I also have a 93% win percentage in freezeout matches, and I attribute most of my HU game development to participating in this little shindig we operate. Other HULA vets can feel free to chip in with their success stories as well.

X-posted: SS, SH & IG

Schneids
07-06-2004, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Fact: Since moving to Madison, I cannot stop pouring alcohol into various orifices of my body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tosh
07-06-2004, 08:18 AM
That conjures up some images that are quite scary.

BBill
07-06-2004, 03:39 PM
gonores,
I played in Hula I and it was a good experience thanks again for all of your work.

I was just getting ready to post some results of my learing to play NL Heads-Up tournaments (freezeouts). Then I read

" I also have a 93% win percentage in freezeout matches"

I gotta ask how many you've played and where you play hu freezeouts.
I have been successful playing limit freezeouts and am gradually learning the +EV tactics at NL.
But I'm not going to post my results which I thought were reasonable if 93% is possible long term.

thx
bbill

gonores
07-06-2004, 03:52 PM
93% is a debatable number, I guess.

Here's how a match comes to fruition....

Bad player at my table with big ego starts talking crap, normally to another player. I come to the defense of the attacked player. Big ego diverts attention toward me. I challenge his manhood. He gets agitated. I propose heads up match.

All "freezeouts" to date have taken place on Party....Usually either for 25 or 50BBs at 10/20. They are not freezeouts in an official sense, unfortunately....so if a guy leaves in the middle of a match and I am up, I count it as an official win. One guy left when he was up 6BB on me ~50 hands into the match...I considered that a tie and tossed those results out. I also counted 2 wins if I make a 25BB+ win and the guy rebuys for 25+BBs and loses again. According to my biased math, I am 28/30...this also excludes HULA and other non-cash HU matches. The win percentage is largely dependent on how selective you are with your opposition. I try to play only the worst of the worst, but sometimes, my ego gets the best of me and I play a guy where my edge is significantly smaller. I don't consider myself especially lucky in my results.

BBill
07-06-2004, 04:09 PM
... He gets agitated. I propose heads up match.

LOL - this is great thanks for the response !
I misunderstood your original post - you are playing non-tournament freezeouts, I think there is a considerable difference than what I have been playing which are NL sit-n-go freezeouts.

Your method seems like it coul be be profitable. Plus - coming to the defense of the attacked player is like "good karma" and if we bring the proverbial fight between good and evil into the heads up arena I think the good guy usually wins which is another reason I like you idea.

10/20 Hu is out of my league at this time though. I'm playing *lots* of low limit freezeouts while working on a NL pattern-map for sit-n-gos.

hope to see you in Hula II!

bbill