PDA

View Full Version : Out of line?

01-28-2002, 05:25 PM
Somewhat loose passive 10-20 game.

Preflop: Loose Player (LP) limped in early position, folded to player to my right (PTMR) who raised. PTMR is a poor, loose aggressive player who was short-stacked. She had about 3 SBs left. I had Kd Jd in the cutoff seat and coldcalled. The button called as did the blinds, and we saw the flop 6-handed.

My thinking was that PTMR didn't need a premium hand to raise here, and was possibly just trying to get all-in. Also, big suited connectors usually do well in big multi-way pots, but I normally prefer something a little stronger that Kd Jd to coldcall a raise. Anyway, was my coldcall okay given the situation or a mistake?

Flop: 3s 3d 4d

Checked to PTMR who bet. I raised, and all folded to PTMR who re-raised all-in. I called.

My thinking was that since the pot was pretty big, it was worth raising to improve the chances of winning if I hit one of my overcards. However, my raise also kind of killed my implied odds for the flush, and in retrospect I'm not sure if it was correct. Any thoughts?

Any input appreciated, and I'll post the results below.

Thanks,

Caddy

01-28-2002, 05:46 PM
You must raise here. A double over flush draw is almost always worth a raise. It is very unlikely that even a poor player has more than an over pair to this flop. I will be interested in hearing your results.

01-28-2002, 06:58 PM
An offsuit K hit on the turn, and then the Ad on the river. Final board 4d 3d 3s Kc Ad. My opponent had A-10 offsuit, so my flush was good.

01-29-2002, 06:03 AM
I prefer to only call. You want to encourage mor callers. Besides you probably need to hit you hand for it to be good. A diamond, jack or king will most likely win it for you, but you must be careful because of the paired board. If someone checkraises the flop, I will most likely reraise, especially in a multiway pot. This way of playing your hand will disguise it very well and in my opinion increase your overall expectation. However, nothing wrong with raising the flop bet either, you are hoping to increase your winning % by driving out hands such as AJ, KQ, AK. That way if a K or J comes on turn or river you probably win. Hope this makes sense.