PDA

View Full Version : Andy Glazer

FeliciaLee
07-05-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm so sorry to have to write that Andy Glazer has passed away.

Fortunately, I had just recently gotten to know Andy when he interviewed me for a Cardplayer article. I wish I'd known him earlier.

I read it on RGP,and at first thought it was a hoax, but too many respected posters confirmed his death, including Max Shapiro.

God Bless you, Andy.

Felicia

ChristinaB
07-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Glazer Biography (http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/pokerschool/glazer-bio.htm)

Does anyone have a better more complete biography link?

slamdunkpro
07-05-2004, 07:45 PM
What happened? accident? Illness?

FeliciaLee
07-05-2004, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What happened? accident? Illness?

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone who says he knows Andy's family reported that he had some complications after surgery including a blood clot. I'm not sure if the embolism went to the heart, lungs or brain, but that is a common complication after surgery.

I wish I knew more. I have three numbers for Andy, but I don't want to call any of them, fearing to upset his family even further, since this was so unexpected.

SinCityGuy
07-05-2004, 09:30 PM
Very sad news, indeed.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Rolf Slotboom
07-05-2004, 10:05 PM
I second that. God bless you, Andy. You were a great asset to the poker community and, more importantly, you were a great person. It's been an honor writing for the same magazine as you.

Rolf Slotboom
www.acespeaks.cjb.net (http://www.acespeaks.cjb.net)

whiskeytown
07-05-2004, 10:06 PM
I remember reading one of his last articles (I think it's posted here) - about how he had made a decision to be a journalist and not a poker shill - he wanted to bring back objectivity to the game without worring about conflicts of interest....

[censored] blows, man... - wish I could have met him..

pax, andy
RB

Sundevils21
07-05-2004, 11:05 PM
too sad

Mason Malmuth
07-06-2004, 12:47 AM
Hi Everyone:

I understand Felicia's report to be accurate. I received a phone call today from an independent source confirming that Andy Glazer did pass away yesterday.

He had a unique role among poker writers and did a terrific job of recapping the tournaments. I always wondered how he was able to produce so much material and yet keep it interesting and unique. There will definitely be a big hole to fill.

For those who are interested, I never met Andy Glazer in person. We did however exchange emails and once had a very long and cordial phone conversation. He also made an occasional post to these forums.

During the WSOP I received an email from him requesting that we meet to get to know each other a little better. I told him when I would be available, but unfortunately the meeting never came off. I was hoping to get together the next time he was in town.

From all of us associated with Two Plus Two Publishing LLC, our condolences go out to his family and friends.

Best wishes,

Mason Malmuth
Publisher
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC

Lee Jones
07-07-2004, 12:46 PM
I'm so sorry to have to write that Andy Glazer has passed away.

I made this offer on RGP and will make it here. Tomorrow or Friday, I will collect any recollections or tributes to Andy that are posted here, put them on a CD, and send it to his sister in Atlanta.

She and the rest of his family deserve to know how many lives he touched with his writing and his stellar personality.

One thing I remember: when Jennifer Harman strayed away from the cash games and started appearing at tournament final tables, he was the only writer who didn't comment on her looks. I complimented him on that in a private email. He said that if he wasn't going to talk about Ted Forrest's "rugged good looks" or whatever, then why would it be appropriate to mention Jennifer's looks?

Just so.

As much as I'll miss his writing, I'll miss the man more.

Regards, Lee

HUSKER'66
07-08-2004, 12:24 AM
My condolence to the Glazer family.

Andy, your wit, intelligence, and words will be truly missed.

We will never forget our favorite "poker pundit".

Husker

jayadd
07-08-2004, 02:22 AM
Card Player regrets to inform readers that our beloved Andy Glazer died suddenly on July 4th from an apparent blood clot to the brain. Funeral services are tentatively set for Thursday, July 8 at the New Montifiore Cemetary in West Babylon, Long Island, New York, at 1 PM. The Card Player staff sends our deepest condolences to his grieving family.

Boopotts
07-08-2004, 09:48 AM
You just have to love the fact that the announcement of Andy's death on the card player website still has to fight for page space amomgst the Pacific Poker banners.

Just totally tasteles.

Daliman
07-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Andy was a great writer, and near as I can tell, a great man also.
Regarding his cause of death; I'm not sure I can say this without sounding offensive, but here goes;

Andy appeared in most of his pictures to have a bit of a lazy eye; any chance that was related at all to his condition?

BassMasterK
07-10-2004, 01:18 AM
I don't know anything about a lazy eye, but I am sure I read that his death was caused by a blood clot in his brain. I havn't heard anything more about it though.

riverboatking
07-10-2004, 06:33 AM
just wanted to join the bandwagon.
Andy's articles were always the first i turned to in cardplayer. he will be missed dearly.

TPR
07-10-2004, 01:22 PM
I very seldom post, but I am a voracious reader of poker information. Andy Glazer was in a class by himself. I never met him, but wish I had. The world of poker just took a very badbeat! My condolences to his family and friends.

knifeandfork
07-11-2004, 04:49 AM
im late to hear but very sad. the pundit did what we all should aspire to do in life. set a goal and then go far beyond, all the while maintaining the utmost integrity. I always loved reading his articles "i didnt play jj like it was AA" sticks with me for some reason.to his family and friends my sincere condolences.

scalf
07-11-2004, 11:57 AM
..think!!

we can all go at any time..

tell the people you love; that you love them..

eat a nice meal..

take a walk in the park..

hug a dog..

be nice in spite of obfusciousness..

just suggestions..

gl

/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BassMasterK
07-12-2004, 12:01 AM
very true...
You always hear people who overcome health obsticles say "live every day like it was your last". Doing it is another thing....

Para13
07-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Because the man was probably straight, that's why!

Anyway, I liked his style too and I was shocked to learn about his early death just this morning off of "CardPlayer" on-line. I'll miss his articles and wisdom. Didn't he have some back problems in the last few years? Maybe the surgery/clot was connected with that.

Derek

"One thing I remember: when Jennifer Harman strayed away from the cash games and started appearing at tournament final tables, he was the only writer who didn't comment on her looks. I complimented him on that in a private email. He said that if he wasn't going to talk about Ted Forrest's "rugged good looks" or whatever, then why would it be appropriate to mention Jennifer's looks?"

John Feeney
07-13-2004, 12:23 AM
Very sorry to hear it. I didn't know Andy, but admired his writing and enjoyed many of his pieces. This is a sad loss for the poker community, but even more so, it appears, for those who had the pleasure of knowing him.