PDA

View Full Version : Going to war with TT

01-28-2002, 04:28 PM
I'm in a moderately tough 20-40 game where many flops are seen heads up for 3 bets (I had scoped out some other games, but alas found nothing much more promising), and find myself with TT in the SB. A late position player open raises and is reraised by a very aggressive player on the button. I make it 4 bets, the BB folds, and the 3 of us see the flop.

The flop is 7 6 5, all spades (I don't have the Ts). I bet, the preflop raiser calls, the button raises, I reraise, preflop raiser folds, button makes it 4 bets (5 bets is the cap here), and I call.

The turn is a brick. I bet and the button calls.

The river is another brick. I check.

All comments appreciated.

01-28-2002, 04:45 PM
Hard to imagine what could actually be considered bricks on the turn and river given this flop.

I think a river bet is called for given that it is extremely unlikely that he will bluff or bet a hand worse than yours or check a hand better than yours once you check with perhaps the exception of JJ (see note below). On the other hand, you could easily be called by a worse hand like AsKd, 99, 88, any 7 etc.

Note: The unlikelihood of his bluffing and the likelihood of his betting a better hand indicates that you should fold if you check and he bets. But I would nevertheless call given the pot odds and given that I want to make sure that he does not attempt pot stealing bluffs on a later hand even if he does have me beat now i.e. I would pay off here knowing that I am probably beat because of the future ramifications of a fold.

01-28-2002, 05:14 PM
It sure looks like the button has 99. Did you consider going for a check-raise on the turn instead of jamming on the flop?

I probably would not have played your hand so fast on the flop because I would be faced with a difficult decision if a 4th spade came on the turn.

01-28-2002, 06:40 PM
im afraid youre up against a bigger overpair here coilean. i think you should have waited for better position and timing and just folded TT here preflop.

the river is a sticky situation because now you need to call if he bets. although you may induce an unlikely bet from AK you will be calling with a worse hand a lot of the time. i think betting the river may have been a better play.

hope you pulled this one off and would like to read your thoughts on the postflop play.

01-29-2002, 08:31 AM
The button checked behind me, and threw her AsKx face up after I showed my TT.

Preflop, I made it 4 to go because I felt there was a decent chance I had the best hand (the button could have made a steal reraise with quite a few hands) and I might be able to get the intial raiser out.

On the flop, I bet out feeling that there was a strong chance the aggressive button would raise. My reraise finally succeeded in knocking the other player out, and I felt little reason to cap the betting on the flop after that, since the button would be favored to beat me with a high spade and 2 overcards to my T's, even if I wasn't already beat by JJ (I considered AA-QQ unlikely since she didn't cap the preflop betting). In retrospect, I think betting out was a mistake, as I could knock out the other player just as easily with a check raise while also putting less money on the table in a situation where I might easily not be favored to win even when I hold the best hand.

After the turn blanked, I didn't want to give a free card to an AsKx or similar hand, which I felt was the button's most likely holding (due to the lack of a preflop cap). I must admit to feeling some relief that I wasn't raised. /images/wink.gif

On the river, I think I was too focused on my opponent having overcards with a spade draw, which was why I checked. I didn't think I would get a call from an unimproved ace after all the flop and preflop action, so checked hoping to induce a bet (or maybe save a bet if she had JJ and didn't bet). Afterwards, I thought this might have been a mistake (which was why I posted the hand), which seems to be the consensus here as well. The possibility of 88-99, as well as a desperation call with AK, seem to dictate a bet, although it seems close enough that I maybe shouldn't lose any sleep over it. /images/wink.gif