PDA

View Full Version : 2/4 PS, HU Big Bluff

theBruiser500
07-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Playing heads up, this hand requires a lot of knowledge of the opponent so let me tell you what I know. We've been playing headsup for a bit, he's been playing a good agressive game, bullying me (I was going to change tables shortly). His reraise preflop is something strong, though not necessarily something really strong. His turn bet is weak, but I'm not real happy when he calls my checkraise. He can fold a hand. I've been playing fairly passively so I think he'll have respect for my bets.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (2 handed)

Hero ($$389.60)
Button ($$436.55)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Button posts a blind of $4.
Hero raises to $16, Button (poster) raises to $28, Hero calls $12.

Flop: ($58) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets $24, Hero calls $24.

Turn: ($106) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets $16, Hero raises to $65, Button calls $49.

River: ($236) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $150

gomberg
07-05-2004, 10:26 PM
I like this follow-through. I think that that's a perfect card to get to do it. Now he's going to have trouble calling w/ two pair or a set. Hope it worked out for you. What was your plan if a blank fell?

Ulysses
07-05-2004, 11:40 PM
Hard to say if this whole line is worthwhile or not w/out being there. HU NL is so very player-dependent it's hard to offer much worthwhile feedback. The move is clearly badass, though.

ClimbRock512
07-06-2004, 11:45 AM
I like the move, its tough to say though. His turn bet is obviously very weak. It looks almost like he may have been trying to show down a hand when he is scared of you. He hopes his weak bet will be enough to have you check the river at which point he can check it down. Your big bluff makes this impossible to do. I like that. The part that is tough is that he could easily have KJ or something close at which point he is going to at least call.

I like the bluff as far as the information I know, but like El Diablo said, you had to be there I'm sure.

NotAClue
07-06-2004, 11:56 AM
If the player is good and aggressive, I don't think he underbets the turn. I think with his bullying, he's trying to reel you in on the turn, i.e. he himself hit the flush. Since he has position on you, if he's really scared of the board flushing, he can just check it through.

He's not going to underbet the turn and give you a cheap shot at outdrawing him with K of diamonds or some such. He's also not going to call $50 dollars on the turn if he's on a draw since he's not getting proper odds.

All in all, if your read on him is correct, I think he pushed on the river and you had to fold.

cornell2005
07-06-2004, 12:21 PM
the real question is: is river follow up bet when a blank falls horrible given the turn raise? in other words, does a turn raise require a large river bet most everytime?

I'd say yes more often than not, but its probably pretty close

Anyways, as we talked about yesterday, Id say the river bet given the Q is a no brainer, great, and absolutly necessary, and the turn/river line is highly player and game texture dependent.

Last, what was your plan here on the turn? was it a one time raise steal, trying to represent the flush? If so, do you really think the turn-only raise steal is worth it? in other words, do you think he folds enough on the turn to make the turn-only raise steal worth it? (Because if its a one time only raise bluff, if he calls you are done with the hand, so you rely on him folding enough on the turn) Or was the plan the whole time to combine the turn raise with a river bet? I'll respond with my thoughts later when you answer those questions

1800GAMBLER
07-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Folding preflop is a OK option after you raise it. Folding preflop is a good option since you are changing tables.