PDA

View Full Version : Party 15: Good, Bad, Routine?

The Bear
07-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Party 15/30

I just sat down. I post in the CO and receive K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Unknown MP limps, loose MP limps, I check, SB completes, BB checks. 5 for 5 SB's and a flop of

6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to loose MP, he bets, I raise, all others fold, he calls. Turn is:

[6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] A /images/graemlins/club.gif

He checks, I bet, he calls. River:

[6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif] J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

He checks, I check. How'd I do?

skp
07-05-2004, 04:58 PM
I'll just comment on the river.

I used to almost always check a "pretty good" no pair hand on the river (on the theory that no worse hand will call and no better hand will fold). But I am now betting those hands a lot more. If the guy had a 6, there is a chance he folds given that the turn and river cards make him 'third pair". As well, while most guys will call on the river having made the decsion to call the turn, there are some who will call on the turn and be prepared to fold on the river. Finally, he may have called the turn with a hand like 54 (looking for the straight) but be willing to give it up on the river.

Bottom Line: you will likely be called if he has a pair but he will fold often enough to make the bluff profitable.

Magikist
07-05-2004, 06:06 PM
skp,

I'm in nearly complete agreement with your thoughts here, especially your general conclusion that more of these kinds of rivers should be bet rather than checked through. If The Bear is going to play so aggressively I think he must be bluffing the river a good percentage of the time.

However, I might be putting words in your mouth, but if you're suggesting bluffing in this spot every time, or even a high percentage of the time, I'd have to disagree with that. Obviously, this play must take into account your image and your opponent's tendencies.

Given The Bear's read of MP as "loose", which I'll interpret to include one who makes loose calls on the river (which may be a stretch), I think his check is appropriate especially since he holds a king. If his hand were somthing like Q7 or T7, he may indeed need to bet more frequently.

As an aside neither here nor there, while I agree many opponents will fold a pair of 4's or 5's, I wonder if a profitable amount of opponents will fold a 6. In my experience, if you show strength on the flop - before the overcards come down - a lot of players are less likely to give you credit for hitting them and may call you all the way down with what was top pair on the flop. This is one reason why, if the situation is ripe (e.g. a low flop, tight image, etc..), I will occasionally wait until the turn to raise with overcards even if I don't spike my two.

anduril
07-05-2004, 07:52 PM
given his image and the board I don't think he will fold a 6 or 5 and you most likely have him beat if he is on a draw but won't call your bet anyway. In other words, I don't think you're going to make him fold a better hand here too many times, or at least enough times to be profitable. especially after he called the turn bet, which could be 87o, or 87c. But in either case, he won't call a river bet and you win anyway. If he has a crappy ace he'll obviously call and I can't see a loose player folding even a 6 here too often......blablabla I say routine.

The Bear
07-05-2004, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll just comment on the river.

I used to almost always check a "pretty good" no pair hand on the river (on the theory that no worse hand will call and no better hand will fold). But I am now betting those hands a lot more. If the guy had a 6, there is a chance he folds given that the turn and river cards make him 'third pair". As well, while most guys will call on the river having made the decsion to call the turn, there are some who will call on the turn and be prepared to fold on the river. Finally, he may have called the turn with a hand like 54 (looking for the straight) but be willing to give it up on the river.

Bottom Line: you will likely be called if he has a pair but he will fold often enough to make the bluff profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

skp,

I seriously considered betting the river in this spot. If this were a live game, I would probably fire away, but online, I'm not so sure. Online, turn calls seem to rarely be followed by river folds. I think it's pretty close.

I guess since you didn't comment on the rest of the hand, it's probably okay too. Thanks for the feedback.

Results: Loose MP had 79 and MHWG.

SinCityGuy
07-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Well played. I like the flop raise (which cleans up your K, giving you 7 clean and 3 questionable outs), betting the turn with a scare card and checking behind on the river.