PDA

View Full Version : too tight for my own good?

EvanJC
07-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Quick question for you all. I've been playing NL SnG's for almost a year now, and if I had to guestimate a total of tournaments played, I'd put it at around 300, nearly all of them 10+1. Unfortuantely I didn't start keeping detailed records until recently, so I can't really figure out my hourly or my ROI, but overall I've been a consisntaly winning player. However, since I've started keeping these records (about 30 tournaments now), I've noticed that nearly 75% of my ITM finishes are third, as I find myself consistantly "sneaking in". Is it possible I'm playing too tight? For the first 2 blind levels I play only AA, KK, AK suited or not, and AQs, and I think that is right. When the blinds move up to the 25-50 level I tell myself to start stealing some blinds, but I can't ever seem to decide what other types of hands that I should attempt steals with, and, in general, what types of hands I should be adding as people drop and blinds get big. I add all pairs and usually Axs and some bigger suited connectors, but this doesn't seem to be enough. Anyway, I guess I'm looking for suggestions for starting hand selection in the later stages of SnGs (which I'm sure has been posted about 900 times already. Any info would be appreciated.

SumZero
07-05-2004, 04:32 PM
What are your 4th and 5th places like? You are probably playing to weak there to increase your ITM% at the expense of your ROI. Play power poker here, and you'll do better. My percentages are:

15.2/13.4/11.3/13.0/12.6/10.0/9.5/5.2/5.2/4.8

Note how I finish 4th and 5th more often then 3rd, but finish 1st more than 2nd more than anything else. I think that leads to better ROI.

Also, depending what your table is like, limping in on the first few levels with pocket pairs and suited connecters for great implied odds (assuming that you are in late position, or else have most rounds unraised preflop).

eastbay
07-05-2004, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the first 2 blind levels I play only AA, KK, AK suited or not, and AQs, and I think that is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think wrong. If you're playing AQs where you would not play QQ or JJ, you're just plain crazy.

eastbay